APC Forum

Lift for Multibreak

AirCowPeacock

I have a 1.25" x ~9" (actual dimensions,) I want to launch it out of my 1.5" x ~26" mortar, normally for a 1.25" x 3.5" shell I would use 10-15% 4Fa, should I use 15-20% 2Fa for such a long multibreak? (3 breaks)

The shell will still be pretty light. I'd stick with what you currently use to lift it. 10-15% 4FA shouldn't put much undue stress on the shell or mortar. I don't know if I'd trust 2FA to generate enough pressure quick enough to properly lift that shell. Let us know what you end up doing and how it works. I'd love to see it if you can get a video too. Good luck.

Because I didn't get a response before the planned launch time, I went with 15% 2Fa. I figured it was the median option. It was a bit over-lifted, but I would have rather have it over-lifted then under-lifted. It wouldn't have seemed so overlifted if the 3rd break went off--I figure it got ripped off during either the lift or 1st break (it was attached poorly.) I'm going to try a very similar shell again this weekend--hopefully it will stay together this time. Here's the video.

I keep recording my fireworks, but whenever I have charcoal stars and color stars on the screen in the same clip, my camera doesn't pick up the color--even if the stars are brilliant. Any advice?

Glad to hear it worked.

I really have no solution for the video problem, but it's something I'd had happen to me as well. I'm not even sure what causes it. I would actually generally expect the opposite to be true in that bright colored stars would saturate the detector momentarily.

Yeah but charcoal stars are so bright and produce large area's of bright firedust, which in total light out-put has to trump even the most brilliant stars. If I get a good video-editing program I could probably bring the color out somehow..

Also, if you're still having problems with breaks not lighting or shells coming apart I'm sure we can help with that too. I only have those types of problems while competing at PGI it seems :)

I think I have that covered more or less.. I'm pretty sure why the third break didn't light and pretty confident I can get it to work fine next time. But, if I can't--ill come back looking for help. Were you at PGI this year? And had one of 'those types of proplems'? ;)

I only made it to the Sunday night show this year. I was planning to be there for part of the convention at least, but work got in the way. I didn't compete this year, but previously I have had these sorts of problems. The last time I competed I had something go wrong with every single entry I submitted. The PGI curse is a bitch.

The last time I competed I had something go wrong with every single entry I submitted. The PGI curse is a bitch.

Thats OK, I have the steel sculpture that a club mate of yours made for us Wednesday night when something went wrong in the mortar. ;)

-dag