APC Forum

Colored Flash (Green)

AirCowPeacock

And pyrojig, all the flash formulas involving PVC used 4%, no more--no less. I'd imagine the reduction that that would offer would be pretty close to negligible. But that's not to say the formula wouldn't need tweaking to get it to burn fast enough.

Although not exactly flash, perhaps CuO/Al thermite would produce a green flash??

Nope, it burns with pretty much a bright white-ish flame.

Shoot. Thought it was worth a try considering all the atomized Cu it disperses into the air. Maybe something like Thermate-TH3 (in military use) -- 68.7% thermite, 29.0% barium nitrate, 2.0% sulfur and 0.3% binder.. but with CuO/Al thermite instead of Fe2O3/Al I think they're referring too.

The problem you're going to run into is the use of aluminum in general. When it burns normally, it makes aluminum oxide (Al2O3). This is highly undesired, as it is quite good at emitting white light. You may be able to get some semblance of color by using CuO/Mg, or maybe even CuO/Zn.

The use of HCE might actually not be a bad idea. While it is true that it is volatile and will sublime away, who's to say you have to let it sit around that long? Given that these compositions are largely quite sensitive, it wouldn't be a bad idea to save them for the end of the manufacturing process anyway so that they are mixed for the least amount of time possible. I've heard stories that the maltese colored beraq are generally made the week of a festival. Then there is normally some comical punch line along the lines of "because in two weeks it's going off whether you like it or not."