APC Forum

Fast smoke formula that won't burst into flames?

FlaMtnBkr

I'm looking for a smoke formula that will burn fast to make a lot of smoke in a short period of time, that hopefully won't burst into flames killing the smoke. Has anyone used one that does this? I think if it can burn fast it more than likely will be hotter and will produce flames. So maybe someone has a way to load it that will help prevent flames? I'm thinking a loose powder will work better than a compressed one.

I came up with my own smoke formula that doesn't look like any I have seen before and seems to produce about as much smoke as HC smoke. I am using 1.75" ID tubes x 3" long with a 1/16" wall. It burns fairly slow though and burns through the wall of the tube but doesn't seem to burst into flames which is good. I would like to be able to produce the same amount of smoke, or at least a lot, but in a shorter amount of time. I plan on trying to tweak my formula but if someone has another formula that would be great. It can be white or gray, doesn't need to have color. Thanks!

Thanks for the vid. Milling definitely sped things up. Bet you still have a green mill jar though :lol:

Another question I forgot to ask. Most of the smoke I have tried, especially my formula, likes to float up about 75 feet. Lots of smoke but I don't want to obscure the trees. Anyone have a smoke formula that likes to hang on the ground or know of a way to make it do so. I imagine that will take a more dense smoke so maybe a smoke type that has condensed droplets instead of burnt carbon particles? I haven't played much with color so the vaporized dye may be more dense as well?

Any experience with smoke would be appreciated. I have so many formulas in my notebook and it seems they all take a little tweaking to burn right, that it would take a lot of experimenting to find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

I've seen smokes that hug the ground, but couldn't tell you what they are. My first instinct would be to say that zinc smokes, which produce zinc chloride, might be denser and stay lower to the ground.

If you want to produce a lot of smoke quickly, you'll probably need to increase the surface area. I'd suggest filling the container with a granulated, but not compressed smoke mixture. Shimizu shows something like this for his smoke inserts in order to make them burn up in a reasonable time in the air.