APC Forum

Star pumps, useful up to what size?

mabuse00

Hi guys,

after some recent testing with syringes it came to my mind that I need a star pump.

I tried up to 20mm and pressed as hard as I could without destroying the syringes, but the density is of course not very high (at least that's my feeling).

Thing is, I like stars that a professional pyro would consider far to big for small 2" shells... And obviously I like them in ONE piece after a hard bang.

So, what do you think, up to what size can I work with star pumps and bare hands (no press available)?

A small arbor press works great for pumping stars, they are relatively inexpensive and don't take up very much room. If that is not a possibility, a non-sparking mallet will work great for pumping stars too.

Many would consider 20mm too large for general use in a 6" shell at that. You probably wouldn't be able to fit more than 3 or so in a 2" shell, but if that's what you like, that's what you like.

If you can find a piece of copper or PVC pipe or something, it will be more resilient. You'll be able to press or ram essentially all you want without worrying about damaging the pump. I find gum arabic wetting solution in addition to the dextrin normally in the formula gives rock hard stars once pumped and dried.

My magnesium fueled stars burn extremely fast, so I use 20mm instead of 15mm, which would be more appropriate.

Also, I'm not satisfied with my 15mm pump. The stars have a height of 20mm. I don't like them having a bigger height than diameter. With my 30mm pump it's the other way around; it makes 20mm high stars.

Many would consider 20mm too large for general use in a 6" shell at that. You probably wouldn't be able to fit more than 3 or so in a 2" shell, but if that's what you like, that's what you like.

They wont be alone of course.

You'll be able to press or ram essentially all you want

Considering ramming:

How would you estimate the phlegmatising effect of water or some alcoholic solvent?

Can metal compositions or in the worst case just some kind of wet flash be rammed safely?