APC Forum

Acid Neutralizing Agents

ANFO

In a few projects I've done recently, I've had to nitrate some things which need to have the remaining acid on them neutralized. I used sodium bicarbonate solution (not technically neutralization but anyway) which seemed to work fine, but then I have read that sodium carbonate (aka soda ash) is better for the job. Is there any merit to this, or are there better compounds out there because I would really like to use the best thing for the job rather than have residual acids floating around. All help much appreciated :)

What is the nitrated product needing to be neutralized ?

Is there a ph test done with papers or ph tester to prove remaining acids?

Some have used bicarbonate with good luck, and a following wash with urea. Sometimes bases can cause undo sensitivities in certain nitrated compounds.

What is the nitrated product needing to be neutralized ?

Is there a ph test done with papers or ph tester to prove remaining acids?

Some have used bicarbonate with good luck, and a following wash with urea. Sometimes bases can cause undo sensitivities in certain nitrated compounds.

Yeah, I test it with litmus paper for acids, and continue to wash it until it's neutral. When you say "with good luck", do you mean they've been lucky that it worked, or that it works well?

Problem resolved. This particular nitration is better off with sodium carbonate, as it doesn't have a hydrogen in it like bicarb. But bicarb is really useful to have around if there are corrosives around, seeing as it can neutralize bases and acids.