APC Forum

veline problems

wessendorf15

i cant seem to get any of the colors to really show! none of them except blue but even that's a more bright white sh purple color. anyone help please could my chemicals not be fine enough or chemicals not pure?
  • Like 1

veline are more of a pastel color (although green is pretty bright), if you want a deeper or brighter color you will just have to use a diff star comp. also its a matter of personal preference, i like the colors and the blue is my favorite blue.

but my stars doesnt seem to have any color to them. and btw ive seen alot of your youtube vids like em all!

have you tested them in the air? what mesh is the metal and what ratio? i love the blue and the orange myself :)

dan.

Or you didn't use the given chemicals,

or you haven't mixed it well

or you used too coarse chemicals

or your chemical shop cheated you and sold you some stuff mixed with chalk or anything...

ive asked other people who has bought from my supplier and they said no problems and the people have great reviews. i just bought a coffee grinder and im gonna grind the chemicals more. and im using 80-200 mesh magnalium. and no i have not tested them in the air yet

The particle size of the MgAl is probably the issue. The Veline System calls for -200 mesh material, i.e. material passing 200 mesh. Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

I wouldn't think that the mesh size of the metal would have that dramatic of an effect on the color however. I talked with him about this the other day, and I'm stumped. The mesh thing is plausible at least.

well then in that case ill throw my MgAl in my ball mill for like 2 or 3 hours

15 min to half an hour should suffice. But make sure you clean the mill thoroughly before milling BP or other materials in it again.
  • Like 1

I haven't tried the Veline system, but judging from what it consists of, one could say that it is only a system for people who think that pastel colours are good and that safety margins should be extreme. The red, for instance. You won't get a really good red without ammonium perchlorate or strontium nitrate.

i have 3 mill jars one for metal,one for bp, and one for individual milling each has there one media for added safety. but ill make sure to do more testing maybe check and see if chems are pure if the milling doesnt help.will post pictures

• 2 months later...
Get them up into the air. They'll look a lot better when your eyes are 500+ feet away.

• 1 month later...
Actually, these star formulas were tuned to the chemicals on hand when they were developed. The Particle size of th materials is important, especially the magnalium. Also I have seen discussion about using other chlorine doners, PVC does not directly substitute, Parlon is a trade name for chlorinated rubber,made by hurcule corp, no longer available. Chlorinated rubber also goes under the trade names of Chlorub, Chlortex, Alloprene, Superchlon (superchlon is also a brand name for chlorinated polyethelene, not the same). I am sure these formulas can work with these other chlorine doners, but they will need adjustment. As for the comment about these being pastel colors, that's true, they are not the best or most saturated colors, they were meant to be a system that one could make four basic colored comps and mix them as you would colored spotlights.

• 6 months later...

The mg/al could be a problem but as your using the required mesh size as the recipe asks for it's probably not that.

The colouring oxidisers could be the next problem either not a good quality or may need air floating so the particle size of the chemical

Is finer so really amalgamates itself with the other ingredients well. Parlon is a binding agent as well as a colour enhancer so that's another possibility it's one of the two. But make sure you keep the chemicals in a well stored air tights container to prevent moisture from ruining your ingredients.

• 2 years later...

Veline's colors were never that good. He used too much metal fuel. Plus you need his super prime to get them lit. In my experience no one model system works for all colors.

Veline's colors were never that good. He used too much metal fuel. Plus you need his super prime to get them lit. In my experience no one model system works for all colors.

The good thing about Veline's colors is, that he found some formulas that were compatible and relative safe to work with and mix.

Also not to forget, you can combine all veline stars with other veline stars in a shell and it doesn't look like one color is outperforming the other.

The Veline system is a bit weak in color, but makes up for it by being very well balanced, using quite few chemicals, and being safe to mix and match to create whatever color you want from the rainbow.

I like it, it's pretty much the only colors i use now, it's easy to work with, and you don't ever have to think twice about combining colors, in layers, or in different stars all together.

B!