APC Forum

shopping for colander screens

thirteen

You can find reference tables on the internet that gives the mesh size equal in inches.

You can also order a set of stainless steel screen material and make your own screens.

Skylighter had a set of five stainless steel nesting screens on sale earlier this week for around $50.00.

There are several pyro sites that sell the 12"x12" square screens in differnet mesh sizes.

Have you seen the plastic bucket screens for the larger mesh sizes?

Take a 5 gallon bucket use the bottom 3" inches of the bucket and drill holes evenly spaced in the bottom.

A long time ago I did the same thing with some plastic frisbees.

Buy some cheap ones at the dollar store, spend several hours drilling/punching differnet sized holes for each mesh size screen.

If you find the correct size screen material you can cut the bottoms out of tupperware containers and silicone the screens in the bottom.

Using the tupperware containers allows you to stack the screens into each other speeding the screening process.

Mikeee

Mesh is simply holes per linear inch. It actually has nothing to do with actual opening size, though there are a set of standard sieves. Take a pen or something, and count them off to get the mesh size. Most of the strainers I've seen are on the order of the same size as window screen material. Window screen is 16-18 mesh, where as the strainers typically end up a little finer around 20-24 mesh. Splatter screens are finer, around 30-40 mesh roughly.

If you want to get the material yourself and make your own, I'd suggest going to McMaster-Carr. They have been overall the cheapest I've found, and you can get a whole set. I've had good luck using plastic shoe sized boxes you can get at most big box stores. They're 6x12" long roughly. Melting the screen into the bottom locks it in very well. I had a set of these for around 5 years, and they were only starting to break down. They are stackable, but allow you to make larger batches. There are a few tricks to increase capacity, but they max out around 1500g, though comfortably fit around 500g. I've done batches as small as 10g in them as well. They're really versatile.

Mikeee, the second thing you start talking about is more for screening stars, not compositions. With Mumpyro (not me) selling them commercially, I'd never go back to drilling my own. His are just so much better than I could ever do, and reasonably priced, especially for the small ones with hundreds if not thousands of holes.

Allow me to suggest a third option:

Trim off the upper half of a 5 gallon bucket, grab a torch or hot air gun and make bucket screens. This is what the actual Bucketscreens look like from Bucketscreen.com.

Just buy 12"x12" squares of whatever mesh screen you want, place the screen over the bottom open end and use a torch or hot air gun to melt the plastic, push the screen into the plastic with a screwdriver, let cool, trim extra screen off and use.

http://www.bucketscreen.com/IMG_2181.jpg

I second the McMaster Carr idea for screens, they will tell you what the opening size as well as the wire thickness.

-dag

Allow me to suggest a third option:

Trim off the upper half of a 5 gallon bucket, grab a torch or hot air gun and make bucket screens. This is what the actual Bucketscreens look like from Bucketscreen.com.

Just buy 12"x12" squares of whatever mesh screen you want, place the screen over the bottom open end and use a torch or hot air gun to melt the plastic, push the screen into the plastic with a screwdriver, let cool, trim extra screen off and use.

-dag

Got to make me a set of bucketscreens one day. They just look so professional IMO. Plus they can/are stackable which would help me in many ways.

Got to make me a set of bucketscreens one day. They just look so professional IMO. Plus they can/are stackable which would help me in many ways.

Best yet, nest a few screens starting with 4 mesh, 10 mesh, 20 mesh 60 mesh and 100 mesh, place your "stuff" on the top screen, use a "Bucket Seat" lid to close it and strap on an orbital sander (1/4 sheet style) to the bottom bucket, turn it on and it will shake the stack until all the "stuff" has passed through to the last screen it will pass through.

Easy-Peasy

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Best yet, nest a few screens starting with 4 mesh, 10 mesh, 20 mesh 60 mesh and 100 mesh, place your "stuff" on the top screen, use a "Bucket Seat" lid to close it and strap on an orbital sander (1/4 sheet style) to the bottom bucket, turn it on and it will shake the stack until all the "stuff" has passed through to the last screen it will pass through.

Easy-Peasy

-dag

That's what I was thinking minus the sander. Good use for one though.