APC Forum

1/2 inch mine and first baggy header

bob

so first off I shot of my very first baggy header I used green flying fish fuse and some old bp for burst I thing it did pretty good

and second off I shot of a 1/2 inch star mine (I did not have many stars and so I had to go small) using white kno3 stars it was ok to I wounder why it had a spark tail :unsure:

bob

post-12936-0-59529700-1342628576_thumb.png

post-12936-0-28345500-1342628697_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob

"white kno3 stars it was ok to I wounder why it had a spark tail"

the charcoal, unless you added a metal.

no metal

I can't wait to try them in a shell :)

with 1.6 parts charcoal I wounder how it did it

bob

Could it be the prime?

very pretty effects:)! I ant wait to beable to get some suflur to try making kno3 white. Im kinda new so i was just wondering. What did u put the baggie hader on? Was it just an ariel shell type launch but with a baggie of stars and bp?or a rocket header? Im just trying to understand and leeearn as much as i can

very pretty effects:)! I ant wait to beable to get some suflur to try making kno3 white. Im kinda new so i was just wondering. What did u put the baggie hader on? Was it just an ariel shell type launch but with a baggie of stars and bp?or a rocket header? Im just trying to understand and leeearn as much as i can

Thanks thechewy

I used a half inch rocket to lift it

@ nater) I guess I could be the prime I used green mix but I thought that would burn of before they got to far out to the mine

bob

Edited by bob

Thechewy, those types of bag headers will only work on rockets or girandolas. They are nowhere near strong enough to survive the lift pressures in a mortar. They are very quick and easy way to get a little color in your rockets.

thank you for all the great info! I only have TTs and chrysanthemum of mystery stars. Can u give me a few tips on how to balance my rockets with headers? I normally just make my rockets like 1/2 id and 1-2inch long. My stabilizer stick,i measure 6times longer than the rockets lenght. Thats without headers and they almost alway go straight. But when i try it with any header,when i try headers. They take off sideways or copletely the oppisite way it started off. The main problem i have is my headers blow up right after lift off ,and the rocket finishes its flight. I wouldnt say cato because the rocket doesnt mess up,just th header detonates way to early

Are you building end burners or coreburners? Do you use commercial tooling to form the core? How much delay are you using above the core of the motor? Do you use a clay bulkhead and drill a pass fire hole before your header? After the header bursts (fireworks do not detonate, pet peeve of mine), can you see a flame from the burning motor, or is the rocket just coasting from the initial thrust?

it would still have the tail fom the rocket. I drill a passfire hole on the side instead of the middle of the bulkhead. I never rllymeasured but i guess i would have to say not nough maybe. I dont have any pro tool,just wooden dowles,drills,clay,and thats about it lol. I lack alot of tooling and chems i want to get some kinda way

Okay, leave out the bulkhead. You might be drilling the passfire hole too deep, causing the header to ignite before the delay is spent.

Are you making end-burners then? Or are you drilling a core?

i tried both,same results. Just when i use core burners i end up with a cato. So mostly i make end burners lol

Okay then, try an end burner that you know will fly only leave out the clay bulkhead.

For a real simple header, mix a pinch of Ti in with some loose granulated BP. Fill the empty space of the motor tube with this mix and glue a paper disc on the end. It will pop with a puff of smoke so you know when a header would have burst. If you have the Ti, you will get a splash of silver that should be bright enough to be seen during the day.

I don't think he has Ti

you can just put in some stars insted of Ti and do it a little later and then you can see if it lights. With out a bulk head I don't see how it could not light

bob

Edited by bob