APC Forum

Plastic Lamp’s v. 2.0

Wiley

I posted a topic a while ago about the feasibility of using plastic ball shells or canisters to make simplified lampare shells. While I generally prefer beauty in fireworks over noise, I still enjoy a good fireball now and then.

The reason I’ve decided to post this is quite simple; I have neither the time, materials, or location to safely test this design. However, I would still really like to see it in action, so, I shall now put the suggestion out there for someone (who has the requirements that I currently lack) to build and shoot such a device, all the while taking lots of pictures and video. IMO, it would be a fun project, and might possibly demonstrate the construction of a simpler lampare shell out of easy-to-obtain materials.

The other day I scratched out a quick drawing of the basic idea. It’s simply a plastic ball salute inside another plastic ball. The void is then filled with one’s favorite flammable liquid (I would recommend diesel, since it is much less prone to attack the plastic than gasoline). The biggest innovation on this design, though, is the addition of a screw cap so that the shell can be filled with a premeasured volume of fuel shortly before firing. The cap can be obtained by cutting off the neck of pretty much any standard plastic bottle, since the plastic is usually thicker in and around the neck. JB Stik is a very hardy adhesive than can cure submerged in gasoline; just remember to thoroughly rough up (with coarse sandpaper) any and all surfaces to be glued.

Have fun, and be safe!

scan0001.pdf

Each Holiday Season Pepsi or Coke makes a promotional round plastic bottle with screw cap.

You can use these as a lampaire and modify the screw cap with a time fuse and flash charge.

Mikeee

Wow, 125 views and only one reply :mellow: ?

I am simply wondering if anyone has made or is willing to make an unusual lampare made in the fashion I described. Thanks!

There is a guy on Passfire that makes some lampare pistil shells in this fashion. Star shell in the center, fuel around the outside. It's interesting and would certainly work, but I'll stick to the huge canisters for them. I'd try it but I don't have much for plastic except 4" and they might get used up for hearders soon.

Yes, Larry makes them this way. I'm positive that a salute instead of a star shell would work. I don't know if sealing a screw top to the top of a shell would be necessary, but it'd at least be convenient. The common way to get the fuel in is with a funnel or a an RC plane fuel pump.

The grey area for these things is always how long the integrity will last before the fuel eats the plastic away. This isn't something you'd want to chance flower potting.

Mumbles, thank you for the especially informative response. Yes, the reason for the screw cap was to make it easier to fill and seal. Additionally, one could fill the shell with a squeeze bottle (with a pouring tip) containing the proper amount of fuel. That way, the shell could be filled immediately before being fired, and with great ease. Remove cap, pour in fuel from bottle, replace cap, load into mortar, and fire away. As for fuel, diesel is much less hard on plastic and seals than gasoline.

Psyco, you could concievably make these things in almost any size, down to 1.75", and up to 8". For the flash container, one could use a short piece of HDPE plastic tubing, and seal the end with JB Weld.

Edited by Wiley