APC Forum

Parlon screen cut stars

pyroviper

Is there a way to slow the burn time of these stars without changing the mesh of the magnalium?

I have that problem too. If you have red gum in them it might slow them down a bit to use shellac instead, though I think that the size of the metal particles is the most cruicial element in parlon stars. I solve it (partly) by making the stars unusually big, like 20mm for a 6", for instance. Edited by Potassiumchlorate

It seems to me that the act of just binding a star with parlon speeds it up. I personally think it's air pockets from the quick evaporating solvent, but that is just speculation. One alternative is to return to the traditional dextrin/water binding. You could also try to either add more fuel, or add more oxidizer. I'd personally go with whatever one is the color producing species. IE if it's strontium nitrate as the oxidizer, perhaps add more of that. If it's strontium carbonate as the colorant, add more of that. Reducing them is also an option, but you're also removing color emitting species from the star that way.

I also had this problem and solved it by making the stars bigger. You may or may not be able to get away with that depending on what you're using for burst and the diameter of the shell

• 8 months later...
they do form air pockets..occasionally large ones at that..ive cut them in half with a razor blade .tryin to get just one more star in my little shells. and noticed them.. sometimes when shot out of a star gun they will pop like an dragon egg.still cant figure if its the mag content or the air pockets or both that causes this.