APC Forum

sulfurless black powder

thechewy

Hi new to the site and just looking around. I have used Garden sulfur for years with good results at least in BP. The added advantage is it has small amount a clay which makes a great binder.

i bought the sulfur dust but im having problems. Theres 10% clay in it which is messing my weights up. Like that clay and the dextrin makes it hard like a rock when granulated,and makes it have a lower burn rate...it burns kinda fast but my sulfurless bp was way faster. Plus i even milled the bp with sulfur for 24 hours and my last sulfurless bp only mille for 8 hours. So ill try less dextrin being the sulfur has 10% clay ,maybe taking 10% less dextrin will even up my bp. Also it may increase my burn rate...hopefully

Hi new to the site and just looking around. I have used Garden sulfur for years with good results at least in BP. The added advantage is it has small amount a clay which makes a great binder.

i bought the sulfur dust but im having problems. Theres 10% clay in it which is messing my weights up. Like that clay and the dextrin makes it hard like a rock when granulated,and makes it have a lower burn rate...it burns kinda fast but my sulfurless bp was way faster. Plus i even milled the bp with sulfur for 24 hours and my last sulfurless bp only mille for 8 hours. So ill try less dextrin being the sulfur has 10% clay ,maybe taking 10% less dextrin will even up my bp. Also it may increase my burn rate...hopefully

The issue with glass marbles is that the worn off bits of glass though tiny in size and quantity, will sensitise the BP to impact.

its very very small the tumbler i use and the marbles and mix seems to grind very well without over weighing it. I tried more but the tumbler cant spin it with th eeextra weight. I have to make due with what i have even though it give poor result. Also i've been in an accident like 2 weeks go and all my money goes to doctors and lawyers:(

thats why i cant get lead or anything i really need to get

You know, if you can't do it safely or properly, it's probably better not to do it at all.

its very very small the tumbler i use and the marbles and mix seems to grind very well without over weighing it. I tried more but the tumbler cant spin it with th eeextra weight. I have to make due with what i have even though it give poor result. Also i've been in an accident like 2 weeks go and all my money goes to doctors and lawyers:(

This isn't a cheap hobby, and the consequences of cutting corners can be very dire. I would recommend letting your body mend itself and paying off your bills before getting more involved.

i know.its just hard not to because i love it and have lots of determination. But even though its not the greatest method,im proud to say my milling is done outside in an empty shed away from myself and all others. Also i lowered my bp batches to maybe 50 grams just in case anything would happen it wont be as bad as 100 or more grams. Lately i mill everything seperat and just screen together afterwards so advoid anything going off and exploding. Im taking more safety care than i used to

even though my methods are dangerous,i perform everything outdoors. I only made star mineees lately so i dont have to hit the bp"just incase" . Things are going well now that i have sulfur! My lift increased alot along with my burn rate:) i have chrysanthemum#8 stars and spider stars the i shot from 1inch mortor tube i made. The tube are 1id,around 8inches long,and the wall thickness is about 3/4 or thicker,i have them mounted on some square pieces of wood. My fuses are visco which burns roughly 2-4seconds per inch"often longer". I ignite them with my camera flash igniter with 125ft of wire so that i am safely away. Even tough im kinda far from it i still run away after fuse ignition. My marbles and tumbler are cleaned thoroughly between each use. Im taking all the safety i can untill i have better equip. Also i feel fine since the accident so itll be okay

Also i lowered my bp batches to maybe 50 grams just in case anything would happen it wont be as bad as 100 or more grams.

From all the anecdotal information I have read over the years, it appears that the smaller ballmill loads are more susceptible to exploding then overloaded or properly loaded jars.

-dag

• 3 weeks later...

You say you live in the South, can you find .50 caliber lead balls anywhere? Where I live, we even have dedicated muzzleloader season, so lead balls are easy to find in any gun shop or sporting goods store that sells ammo. I ended up with .44 caliber lead, because it was in stock at the store I went to.

I use a 6lb rock tumbler from Harbor Freight for small batches with only one of the jars, and 5 lbs of lead in the jar. I can make 100-125g batches at a time. Perfect for testing new comps.

your lucky I found 200 musket balls but that's all they had in the city of edmonton which has over 600,000 poeple in it

bob

• 4 months later...

I used marbles, extra cheap dollar store ones, in my first homemade ball mill. i had about 200 marbles in the drum and i would say at least 20 of them all broke; it took for ever to get all the pieces out.

and for you safety nuts, dont worry i didnt use that batch of bp for anything other than launching golf balls in the field, no spectator endangerment

• 2 weeks later...
I am just a newb here so, Hello everyone. I have to agree that glass marbles are a static danger. I work with glass and install window panes regularly. I experience static quite often. Now that being said I'm sure nobody uses a carpeted work bench while tumbling. lol