APC Forum

Granular or Fine Power Chemicals for stars?

The504

I'm wondering if it makes a difference between Granular or Fine powdered chemicals using the Veline star system. The website offers both for the same price. Like they offer Barium nitrate in fine powder form and in a granular form. Does it really matter if any of the chemicals are fine or granular? Just a side note- I will be using a star roller to make the stars.

As a rule of thumb (there are exceptions) get the finest powder you can get. barium Nitrate is a poison and you don't want to have to mill it if you don't have to. Yes, if rolling stars, you will want finer grinds.

-dag

As a rule of thumb (there are exceptions) get the finest powder you can get. barium Nitrate is a poison and you don't want to have to mill it if you don't have to. Yes, if rolling stars, you will want finer grinds.

-dag

Ok thanks! I wasn't sure so if there's the option always get the fine option.

Actually Dag, a little bit of coarseness makes some stars roll like a dream. I'm not recommending to get the granular barium nitrate, which is about like salt IIRC. You definitely want the fine grade for that, even if it is a little more expensive. I'm talking somewhere between your finest mixing screen and airfloat. For most things you want to get the finest possible grade. It will save you time, and give better preforming stars. Certain chemicals, chlorine donors in particular, have a tendency to be a bit coarse. This may be one of the reasons that colored stars roll so easily a lot of the time. Most of the time these aren't options though, just the way they are.

A bit of coarse material also can do interesting things with the delay or tail length in streamers and glitters.

Actually Dag, a little bit of coarseness makes some stars roll like a dream. I'm not recommending to get the granular barium nitrate, which is about like salt IIRC. You definitely want the fine grade for that, even if it is a little more expensive. I'm talking somewhere between your finest mixing screen and airfloat. For most things you want to get the finest possible grade. It will save you time, and give better preforming stars. Certain chemicals, chlorine donors in particular, have a tendency to be a bit coarse. This may be one of the reasons that colored stars roll so easily a lot of the time. Most of the time these aren't options though, just the way they are.

A bit of coarse material also can do interesting things with the delay or tail length in streamers and glitters.

After reading your summation, I will have to concede, I like your phrasing better and it gets to the heart of the matter. I will stay with the fine chems myself if I can find them though. ;)

-dag

The chemical supplier that I have known the longest claims that at least when it comes to very reactive oxidizers like potassium chlorate, a particle size of 80 mesh both makes rolling easier and gives a fully acceptable burning speed for stars. For potassium chlorate suitable for H3 he claims that ½ hour in an effective ballmill will reduce it to a size small enough to give the performance that you wish.

If they still roll well for you bigger stars will take bigger granules. A 4mm star needs 100 mesh or so but a 25mm star will burn with 10 mesh.

Yes the particle size will also change the style of the flame too.