APC Forum

Red Iron Oxide

Zumber

here is the easy way of making red iron oxide.

You will need

1) steel wool

2) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)

method- keep the steel wool on glass/plastic plate(any other non metallic) and spray hydrogen peroxide using water spraying bottle 4 to 5 times a day,keep on spraying for 2+ days.

After 3 days you will get find red iron oxide.

Steel wool is used for washing metallic pots,pans etc.

H2O2 can easily found in any medical store.

See attatched image of still wool.

Thanks.

post-10498-0-69358600-1342180319_thumb.jpg

Its simply not worth the effort. Where I live it would be at least 10x more expensive to produce it.

Well, everyone doesn't live in Europe or North America ;)

Perhaps not but there is not a country out there that doesn't' have a clay supplies house. Red iron oxide is a staple coloring agent for terracotta clay pots worldwide. I have found clay houses in Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Bolivia and Brazil online for people looking for them. I am sure that I can find one in anybodies country that has internet access. Try me ;)

-dag

Its simply not worth the effort. Where I live it would be at least 10x more expensive to produce it.

Then again, there is iron oxide and there's iron oxide. One way to be sure you've got the right thing of the proper purity is to follow every step of it's production (make it yourself). Sometimes we make things, not because they're unavailable, but because we want to learn how to do it for ourselves.

I have free access to chlorate or perchlorate, it doesn't mean I don't care about how it's done. I like learning how to do it for myself (that, and you never know what the future availability may be).

WSM B)

• 1 month later...

Another, much faster method of this is just to burn the steel wool in a metal drum/container. This oxidizes the steel wool quite quickly, and you get to start a fire tongue2.gif

Thanks @Dag for the good info on the pottery shops, its a great help for me in deepest darkest africa :)

Edit: the best steel wool to use for this is the kind sold for finishing wood work, its got a very fine 'weave' and is made of thinner strands which oxidize easily.

Edited by ANFO

Another, much faster method of this is just to burn the steel wool in a metal drum/container. This oxidizes the steel wool quite quickly, and you get to start a fire tongue2.gif

Thanks @Dag for the good info on the pottery shops, its a great help for me in deepest darkest africa :)

Edit: the best steel wool to use for this is the kind sold for finishing wood work, its got a very fine 'weave' and is made of thinner strands which oxidize easily.

Considering the cost of RIO v.s. making it yourself, I will go with buying a pound for a couple bucks. When the balloon goes up, Im coming to your house WSM. ;)

-dag

Considering the cost of RIO v.s. making it yourself, I will go with buying a pound for a couple bucks. When the balloon goes up, Im coming to your house WSM. ;)

-dag

That sounds like a mighty long walk...

WSM

-dag

Yeah, I just bought 3 kilograms from a pottery shop for R65,00 which is about $8.50 biggrin2.gif

Edited by ANFO

That sounds like a mighty long walk...

WSM

Well, I won't have anything else to do but dodge zombies so a long walk may be the best thing I cam do.

-dag