APC Forum

D1 Glitter Questions

PyroCube

... i have spent the better part of a year reading as much as i can and watching you tube videos.....i dont know of any pyro techs or pyro resources locally so i am trying my best to find these resources online and this forum really helps.....i want to thank everyone thus far who has responded to my wierd questions.

You may want to consider getting real books and resources, rather than relying on all the shit on youtube. Honestly, there is so much terrible information and techniques being passed off as legitimate, official, or reliable I've stopped accepting anything on there as decent. Real resources, while not free, are the best investment I've ever made in advancing in this hobby. Even some of the paid websites like fireworking.com or passfire.com are a great step.

• Like 2

You may want to consider getting real books and resources, rather than relying on all the shit on youtube. Honestly, there is so much terrible information and techniques being passed off as legitimate, official, or reliable I've stopped accepting anything on there as decent. Real resources, while not free, are the best investment I've ever made in advancing in this hobby. Even some of the paid websites like fireworking.com or passfire.com are a great step.

i tried getting onto passfire before and till now i never got a confirmation and so i cant proceed. then i went onto amazon and bought a few cheap book $ 10 average priced, i thought buying a few would be able to give me insight from combined authors.....its the worst waste of money i did......only after coming onto this forum have i begun to be pointed into a better direction as what resources to look at as well as great advise on how to do stuff.

i tried getting onto passfire before and till now i never got a confirmation and so i cant proceed. then i went onto amazon and bought a few cheap book $ 10 average priced, i thought buying a few would be able to give me insight from combined authors.....its the worst waste of money i did......only after coming onto this forum have i begun to be pointed into a better direction as what resources to look at as well as great advise on how to do stuff.

I'm seconding Mumbles here, save up some money and buy the books, they are worth their weight in gold. Conkling, Davis, Donner, Ellern, Gorski, Oglesby, Kosanke's, Shimizu, Sponenburgh, Pyrotechnica Journal, The Best of AFN, Weingart, Westech Manual, and Winokur have been my by-and-large most used resources; these will last you for years and years.

edit: Lancaster and Bleser also

Edited by AzoMittle

Give Kyle a call if he doesn't get back to you. PM sent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a question.

And maybee someone can tell my more. I have atomized aluminum. 300 mesh. It's not flake can i use this stuff for d1 or other aluminium based glitters?

Thanks allot

Pex

Yes. Most glitters, including D1, call for atomized. There are really only a couple that actually use flake Al as anything more than an additive.

• 2 months later...

i have a couple of basic questions here if anyone can shed some light... switching to a slower charcoal will give me a longer burn time without affecting the tail or spritzel delay. is this correct? and if i want to affect the length/duration of the tail and the spritzel delay i adjust the bicarbonate? i know i must experiment to really get the answers but am i on the right track?

• 1 month later...

while on the hunt for various glitter formulae, i came across this:

KNO3 ---------------------18

sodium oxalate -----------4

lampblack -----------------3

aluminum ------------------3

antimony trisulfide -------3

sulfur -----------------------3

it's widely available and says only to "bind with water" and that it must be cut or pumped. what would act as binder? if you add dextrin it makes a very nice glitter star but it's supposed to be a "gold twinkler". anyone know more about this formula?

Twinkler, tremalon, and flitter at one time, past and or present. Also depending on location, have been used to describe what we more commonly now refer to as glitter. Edited by Carbon796

while on the hunt for various glitter formulae, i came across this:

KNO3 ---------------------18

sodium oxalate -----------4

lampblack -----------------3

aluminum ------------------3

antimony trisulfide -------3

sulfur -----------------------3

it's widely available and says only to "bind with water" and that it must be cut or pumped. what would act as binder? if you add dextrin it makes a very nice glitter star but it's supposed to be a "gold twinkler". anyone know more about this formula?

ive looked and looked and ill be damned if I cant find where its from, it almost appears to be a modified version of a couple different formula-

If it were me id throw in 1-2 parts of SGRS and pump em, id also be inclined to buffer the composition with boric acid solution (2% by weight in distilled water). What aluminum are you using with it?

Twinkler, tremalon, and flitter at one time, past and or present. Also depending on location, have been used to describe what we more commonly now refer to as glitter.

Typically flitter and glitter are two different things, although one could indeed consider tremalon and twinklers to be "glitter"

it was from the pyroguide. it can be found on the cannon fuse website in the "effect" stars section and california pyro(hunter) uploaded it here. i made a small batch of this with about 4-5% dextrin. with the added binder, it's clos to bill ofca's gold twinkler(with adjusted ratios). i'll try it with some sgrs too. i'll upload video of it tonight with the dextrin. it looks a lot like the D1 i made before but longer burning and slightly better delay.

my aluminum is 300 mesh atomized.

Edited by rogeryermaw

Typically flitter and glitter are two different things, although one could indeed consider tremalon and twinklers to be "glitter"

That is because most hobbyists use the the two terms incorrectly. See post #3 and #5 by Mike Swisher.

https://www.fireworking.com/content/glitter-vs-flitter

Edited by Carbon796

Interesting- I was basing my statement off of PTii.

What then is the appropriate name for a shimmering star that doesn't include the pyrotechnic phenomenon that is "glitter"?

It is interesting, IPP and a few articles/formulas in BAFN and others, also use the term flitters incorrectly. Dave F and Mike Swisher may address what your asking in posts #8 - #11 as a plain silver star, or a electric star ? I tend to think of a shimmering star as a very fast strobe, that is not actually strobe-ing ?