APC Forum

Pink Perchlorate?

alexpyro101

A week or 2 ago i finally opened a tub of potassium perchlorate from skylighter and to my surprise it had a slight pink tint to it.

Has anybody had this before? anybody have any guesses as to what it could be?

my guesses:

anticake

anode material (maybe something like manganese dioxide, although I'm guessing that isn't used much or if at all anymore)

I've had KClO4 from quite a few different places and never seen a pinkish tint. I also can't think of an anti cake or anode material that would be pink. The only thing I've seen turn a white powder pink is red iron oxide.

Was it advertised as having anti cake since they usually have both? They are really good about taking care of problems. I would email them a picture and ask if they have any idea and I bet they send you a replacement. I would also check any other containers if you have any.

That is strange. My past experience with them had been good. They always had top purity products .. If it had been the cheap stuff with some floor sweepings in it then that would explain the off white . I bought a batch like that one year , and it had some small debris in it, which I screened out , and a off white color. Still works wonders for Kp burst, and other non color comps.

AS stated, they always have been fair, and returns where taken care of promptly.You pay more most of the time, but they provide good customer serv.

I've had KClO4 from quite a few different places and never seen a pinkish tint. I also can't think of an anti cake or anode material that would be pink. The only thing I've seen turn a white powder pink is red iron oxide.

Was it advertised as having anti cake since they usually have both? They are really good about taking care of problems. I would email them a picture and ask if they have any idea and I bet they send you a replacement. I would also check any other containers if you have any.

i was thinking maybe, but i don't see how that would have got in there

I have had pink chlorate, though that was European, although both may originally come from China.

No idea what it could have been, though. It worked as good as "pure" chlorate does.