APC Forum

Up to what size can I press big stars/comets with syringes?

dangerousamateur

I wonder how far I can get without a press, using just syringes.

I might also use a metal starpump or just some pipe and rammer, and whack it with a mallet. But as I also use perchlorate/metal stars this might not be a good idea.

This depends more on your choice of compound and the binding system and the amount of fluid with which you form the stars, If you can form the star it will eventually dry ready to fire.

In numbers 3 - 10mm will dry easily, 10 - 25mm will need care to force dry without them remaining damp on the inside. If you want to make big comets than 50mm is easy BUT they take an age to dry -six months in a dry warm place would be reasonable.

Long drying times go badly with glitter stars.

The issue is probably more how long you can wait for them to be ready to fire. If you work with a mixed powder and add 2% "water" then press the star HARD you get a star that is almost ready to fire. If you make a wet mix and spoon it into a big mould then you get a huge star in about a year of even drying.

Thanks for your answer.

I would use alcohol or aceton bound stuff for the big ones anyway, because I know the drying problem just to well ;)

Can Acetone bound stars be drivin in the same way as water bound ones? I only have little experience, but as far as I can say this almost never happens, even 20mm cut cubes were dry after one week.