APC Forum

Fireworks in North Carolina

DragonsKing

As the title indicates, i am trying to find out what excatly it is that i can do with my fireworks experience. I recently moved from alabama, where it was legal to do just about anything with fireworks, given reason and education. I am still in teh amateur stage of firewroks, althought i ahve been working with the for going on 2 years now, the largest having been made was a 3" shell. This isnt what i am about to go into or ask in this topic. My main concern here, is that i have supplies tht i moved with me (unmixed of course, and only simple chemicals, nothing that needs concern) and i am wondering if there is any information out there about the making of fireworks here.

This is a direct copy from N.C. Law

Legal: The types of consumer fireworks permissible for use in North Carolina are generally classified as sparklers, fountains, and novelty fireworks items that do not have a report (explode) or are not intended to spin or to leave the ground and fly through the air. Not Legal: Fireworks items such as firecrackers, ground spinners, roman candles, rockets (including bottle rockets), mortars, etc.

Now given people dont always follow the rules and last night MANY people around me were setting off shells and the like, rockets and such things.. ( I live way out int he stick right on the lake).. I was wondering what i can LEGALLY get away with making. I do understand that yes, i could make any of these things, but i try to stay within what is MOSTLY legal. I am questioning if making fountains is legal here. I cannot find anything online that says yes or now, because it simply tells me what you can buy and what you cant. I still want to be able to learn more about fireworks as i love the hobby, but i dont want to get myself into trouble by ordering the materials required and then when they arrive a my house, its followed by the SWAT team.. If anyone can give me some insight on this subject, it would be more appreciated than you know. I have family and friends begging me to make things for them, but i simply have to refuse because of my lack of knowledge in this area in this state. Thanks...

As the title indicates, i am trying to find out what excatly it is that i can do with my fireworks experience. I recently moved from alabama, where it was legal to do just about anything with fireworks, given reason and education. I am still in teh amateur stage of firewroks, althought i ahve been working with the for going on 2 years now, the largest having been made was a 3" shell. This isnt what i am about to go into or ask in this topic. My main concern here, is that i have supplies tht i moved with me (unmixed of course, and only simple chemicals, nothing that needs concern) and i am wondering if there is any information out there about the making of fireworks here.

This is a direct copy from N.C. Law

Legal: The types of consumer fireworks permissible for use in North Carolina are generally classified as sparklers, fountains, and novelty fireworks items that do not have a report (explode) or are not intended to spin or to leave the ground and fly through the air. Not Legal: Fireworks items such as firecrackers, ground spinners, roman candles, rockets (including bottle rockets), mortars, etc.

Now given people dont always follow the rules and last night MANY people around me were setting off shells and the like, rockets and such things.. ( I live way out int he stick right on the lake).. I was wondering what i can LEGALLY get away with making. I do understand that yes, i could make any of these things, but i try to stay within what is MOSTLY legal. I am questioning if making fountains is legal here. I cannot find anything online that says yes or now, because it simply tells me what you can buy and what you cant. I still want to be able to learn more about fireworks as i love the hobby, but i dont want to get myself into trouble by ordering the materials required and then when they arrive a my house, its followed by the SWAT team.. If anyone can give me some insight on this subject, it would be more appreciated than you know. I have family and friends begging me to make things for them, but i simply have to refuse because of my lack of knowledge in this area in this state. Thanks...

By federal law, anything you make or modify is considered 1.3G or even 1.1 (BP) and if your state does not allow such manufacturing then you are not legal.

NC is a "safe and sane" state, manufacturing is not even if you make sparklers or fountains, they are still 1.3G. Research the state laws for explosives, contact the state fire Marshall and get a magazine. Follow the distances set in the orange book and get your explosives license.

-dag

By federal law, anything you make or modify is considered 1.3G or even 1.1 (BP) and if your state does not allow such manufacturing then you are not legal.

NC is a "safe and sane" state, manufacturing is not even if you make sparklers or fountains, they are still 1.3G. Research the state laws for explosives, contact the state fire Marshall and get a magazine. Follow the distances set in the orange book and get your explosives license.

-dag

Thanks Dagabu... that doesnt make me smile, but atleast i know what the laws are.. mostly....

I'm sure there are a few who still do it as a hobby...

vizi

I agree, I would say 99 out of 100 do not have licenses but keep it on the down low. Even as a hobby, you still have state and local laws to follow, there is no getting around that.

-dag

I agree, I would say 99 out of 100 do not have licenses but keep it on the down low. Even as a hobby, you still have state and local laws to follow, there is no getting around that.

-dag

The best thing you probably can do is get a mag of some sort to meet some regulations as MAYBE the consequences won't be as severe???

vizi