APC Forum

15 minutes of fireworks explode in 15 seconds

Pyrophury

One of the largest Fourth of July fireworks shows in the nation was ruined in San Diego Wednesday after a glitch caused all the pyrotechnics to ignite all at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuJHfkXEI-o&feature=player_embedded

About five minutes before the Port of San Diego's Big Bay Boom was to begin at 9 p.m., spectators saw a brilliant display of fireworks that shot up in only 15 seconds – an incredible disappointment to hundreds of thousands of spectators who had waited for hours for the 18-minute show.

Click to read full article.

Edited by Pyrophury

A software glitch, huh? Good luck with that, then. There's a reason why the following boiler-plate language is included in every single software license, usually in 24 point block capitals.

IN NO EVENT WILL (insert name here), OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR LICENSORS, BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, CLAIMS, OR COSTS WHATSOEVER, OR FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, PUNATIVE, INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, OR ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST SAVINGS, EVEN IF A REPRESENTATIVE OF (insert name here) OR ONE OF ITS SUPPLIERS OR LICENSORS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS, DAMAGES, CLAIMS, OR COSTS, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY THIRD PARTY. THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF (insert name here), AND ITS SUPPLIERS, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID FOR THE LICENSED SOFTWARE REGARDLESS OF THE NATURE OF THE CLAIM.

Maybe they should do it manually rather than trusting it to some computer...

Can you imagine what if some software decides to fire while people are still loading the thing!

Maybe they should do it manually rather than trusting it to some computer...

Can you imagine what if some software decides to fire while people are still loading the thing!

Impossible. With computerized firing systems, each rail has connections for 32-50 (typically) cues, the rails get power to fire the e-match by a connected module with a capcitor and computer board to sort out commands from the firing panel, each module is then strung together by a cable to the main board. (or wireless in some cases.) You do not have the modules connected to the rails when loading the show and pinning the e-match into each cue. There is no power to the rails and no connection to the board, so it is impossible for the computer to fire the shells until everything is connected and the system is armed. It IS possible for static electricity to fire a shell as the match is pinned into the rail. For this reason, you never stick anything over a loaded mortar that you do not want to loose. For a dense packed barge, this is difficult and can be nerve racking with that much product and nowhere to go if something goes wrong.

For this show, it has been discussed on a couple of other forums that a timecode error could have caused this malfunction. It is doubtful that the real cause will ever be released to the public, so we will only be left with speculation.

I just know how sick I have felt when shows did not go well, but at least the crowd was still entertained. I cannot imagine spending several days setting up a show for it to be ruined.

"It is doubtful that the real cause will ever be released to the public..."

I am sure you're right, since the absolute gospel truth is the Navy was testing some kind of secret EMP weapon on a ship just over the horizon. I read it on the Internet. :whistle:

I think it was my fault.

I was flipping that light switch off and on, on the wall that I have no idea what it goes to.

Now I know what it goes to.

Wish I was there to have seen it in person.

Mikeee

I think it was the full moon.

Or, it was a crew member from our barge show on the 30th. He wanted to know what it would look like if there was a fire all button.

Probably there was an "abort" button. Damn rocket scientists!

LOL , I just glad it wasnt our company!! It was a East Coast company that out-bid ours to get the spot, and ,,,,,,,well as you can see didnt do so well. 2blink.gif

It was claimed to be $120k in product. I heard that the may offer a free show for the 2013 year to make up for the boo-boo. Best of luck to themwhistle.gif......should have gone with the normal routine and reliable Co. that had a proven track record. Just my opinion.

LOL. Kinda wish I was there.

I like my displays out here in the rural areas, dudes with road flares lighting them off.

That computer stuff is crazy. Soundguy I know, he had this crazy stuff that shot the fireworks off in synch with an orchestra.

• 2 months later...
I guess my 'light the fuse and run away' method is safer after all!