APC Forum

Rocket test SUCCESS!

taiwanluthiers

75/15/10 willow charcoal, end burner, 1/2" inner diameter, think equivalent to Estes C engine. Flew high and out of sight!

Getting there, lets get the guidance stick and nozzle straight next. No CATO, good sound, baby steps and we will have you making #3 motors in no time! ;)

-dag

What is it meant by #3 rocket? I am familiar with NAR's classification but the firework's classification is not so familiar. Do you mean 3 pound rockets?

I actually used 2 skewers taped together as the stick, because I found skewers are too short. I have to go out and get some dowels for the bigger rocket.

Americans, #3 is how they write 3 pound, the three pounds being some nominal weight of how many lead balls of a certain size fit inside a tube of some length. In this case 3lb being a 1" (inch) diameter rocket.

I think I am ready to put on some pyrotechnic payload... any suggestions? Do I make a shell then attach it, or simply place the rocket engine inside a tube and fill that with stars and burst charge?

Americans, #3 is how they write 3 pound, the three pounds being some nominal weight of how many lead balls of a certain size fit inside a tube of some length. In this case 3lb being a 1" (inch) diameter rocket.

Anglosaxon units are utterly confusing, except for simple things like inches. Inches is actually a more suitable unit for mortar calibers, but other than that I prefer the metric system any day.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Anglosaxon units are utterly confusing, except for simple things like inches. Inches is actually a more suitable unit for mortar calibers, but other than that I prefer the metric system any day.

Yea, I don't understand the whole thing about gauges... confusing as hell. This goes for shotgun gauges and wire gauges. Rest of the world goes by mm diameter but in America, shotguns are by gauges (how big of a lead ball it is if you made x number of balls that totals one pound), or American wire gauges.

I am afraid that both NAR and traditional (not American I am afraid, the English came up with pounds) rocket measurements are incorrect by pyrotechnic standards. NAR motors are measures by impulse only, it has nothing to do with size. Yes, a 25.4mm or 1" ID rocket.

I HATE the standard system here in the USA, I would rather have metric too.

Yea, I don't understand the whole thing about gauges... confusing as hell. This goes for shotgun gauges and wire gauges. Rest of the world goes by mm diameter but in America, shotguns are by gauges (how big of a lead ball it is if you made x number of balls that totals one pound), or American wire gauges.

Sorry but the Brits came up with gauge measurements, we are just to damn stubborn to change to metric here in the USA like we should.

-dag

The old rocket measurement system goes back to the days when the Army made fireworks. They used to press the motor inside a metal sleeve to stop it bursting, and their kind of metal sleeves were typically gun barrels. At that time, guns were described by the weight of the ball they fired, thus known as a "2 pounder", "25 pounder" etc. Hence the "pound" weight of the rocket referred to its outside diameter, the gun barrel that it would fit into for pressing. This was already outdated in 1878, when Kentish noted in The Pyrotechnist's Treasury: "Disregard the trade names of pound, ounce, &c., which, now that moulds are dispensed with, are useful only for enabling the makers, from tradition, to understand each other". In another book from the same period, which I can't find right now, a French pyrotechnist observed that if the rockets had to be pressed in sleeves, you had no business using those tubes anyway.

American rocket weights seem to have suffered from considerable inflation around the start of the 20th Century, no doubt by advertisers trying to give the impression their "1 pound" rocket was better than their competitor's "8 ounce" rocket, although in fact they were both the same. I think the American standard is now between twice and four times the old British standard.

Edited by Peret

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a 3 pound rocket (make that 25mm ID by roughly 250mm long). They're a great size and use about 110g of propellant. ;)

WSM B)

So when they say 3 pound rocket they don't mean the rocket propellant weights 3 pounds? does it refer to the finished weight of the motor, or the amount of weight that motor can lift, or is it the total impulse of the motor?

So my 12mm ID x 3 inch long rocket, what is it called, a 1oz rocket or a 1lb rocket?

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Your 12mm ID rockets are closest to a 4oz or 1/2 inch rocket. I use 5 inch long tubes for 4oz coreburners.

Ugh! had placed this under the wrong topic Edited by coldfire