APC Forum

Any stickies for recipies?

gera229

I originally joined this forum to discuss explosive pyrotechnics. Then after playing for a while, I figured it's rather boring to light them and see an explosion.

I've been doing this with safety in mind and extended fuses.

Now I want to move on and create something cooler.

I want to create mortars for the next 4th of July.

Ironically, I'm posting this 4th of July because now I see what good mortars look like. I want to save money and make my own, but next year.

Any recipes? Or where do I start?

How much money would I save by making them?

You won't save any money making them. You won't even come close. As for formulas and techniques, they are all over the site. Ask a more specific question in the proper forum about what you want , and you will be much more likely to get the answer you are hoping for.

Mortars, are the tube the shell is launched out of. Mortars are usually purchased already cut to size and properly plugged. It is then easy to make a rack using simple wood working skills. One can make their own mortars by cutting HDPE to size, cutting wood plugs to fit snug, and bolting the plugs in one end. However, unless you need 1000 of one size, most buy a few.

Edited by nater

Really no savings?

Then why do people make them?

And how do fireworks companies profit that way?

Edited by gera229

I don't agree with nater. Unless you buy lots of them, commercial shells aren't cheaper than homemade ones, at least not in Europe. They might be, if you import them directly from China, but not otherwise.

You make them for the joy of the art. Commercial manufacturers buy chems in bulk at far lower prices than we can. Add the costs of the chems, tooling, and time, and it is cheaper to buy. You can also make effects that are not available commercially.

Yes, if you take the time in account too, I agree with you. But, like you say, you make them for the joy of art, and there is no barium chlorate greens or magnesium reds available commercially anymore, at least not to my knowledge.

Approximately how much are you saving when you don't take time into account?

There are times when you have nothing to do and that's when you make rockets!

Edited by gera229

Well, prices vary a lot for chemicals and supplies. You can make a 4" shell for material costs of $5 or for material costs of $50.

I'm one of those who finds the cost of the shell to be one of the least interesting things, and quite a bizarre thing to be so obsessed by. It's going to take many hundreds of hours work until you're skilled enough to be competing with commercial shells. Then, I really doubt you will say "I made that shell for $XXX, but you'll just say "I made that!!!"

While I'm not going to say anythng bad about some of the cheap formulas like Tigertail and some glitters (though C6 really fails to impress me), I tend to largely ignore cost and simply try and make the best firework.

Surely a better goal is to make superior fireworks rather than cheaper...

Approximately how much are you saving when you don't take time into account?

There are times when you have nothing to do and that's when you make rockets!

I have never taken end cost into consideration. I just know that between the tools I have purchased or built and the chems, I have spent way more than one would to buy fireworks. I don't have the skills yet to compete with anything commercial either. But as a hobby, cost is not as important as the process.

Besides, where can I buy a 1 pound skyrocket with a 100 year old styled heading if I don't make it?

I make my mortars from old steel pipe that I can get for free

my dad has a welder and lots of steel so the cost of making one for me is about 2 bucks for the welding sticks

bob