APC Forum

free flow agent for shellac

taiwanluthiers

I notice shellac tends to clump together, more so than any other chemicals I've seen...

Is there anything I can add to the shellac to keep it from sticking together?

Silicon dioxide, also known as Cab-o-sil, add 1% by weight.

I think it also depends on your type of shellac. Mine looks like this.

post-11329-0-56253600-1341063759_thumb.jpg

I am using shellac flakes, its not in fine powder... what kind of shellac is that, blond or garnet? I am using light shellac, I also use it for french polishing... I milled it into a powder with a blender figuring that it would dissolve faster if I am actually going to french polish with it. I wonder if the cab o sil will affect it as a finish?

It's lemon. I bought it in that state. It takes many hours to get the shellac as fine as that, even in a ball mill.

If you are going to use it outside pyrotechnics, I suggest that you dissolve it in alcohol as it is.

It's not a good idea to leave them in alcohol too long... because the shellac can react with water to form something that would never dry.

Yes, once dissolved in alcohol, shellac becomes hygroscopic. And the alcohol is a bit hygroscopic in itself, at least ethanol and methanol. Isopropanol is 99.5% pure, though. But use the method with boiling the alcohol in a jar in a pan/kettle with water and use it immediately after you have dissolved it. ;)