For those who cannot buy time fuse, this is my way to make it:

"Ingredients":

- Black Match;

- Piece of toilet paper (about 5 cm long);

- Cotton string;

- Piece of kraft paper (5 cm long);

- White glue.

Manufacture:

Roll the toilet paper around the black match and wrap a layer of cotton string along it.

Now, roll the piece of kraft paper around and make the same thing with the string.

Paste the body of the fuse with white glue, to prevent the string to unroll and let it dry.

It's ready to use.

The fuse is completely fire proof and it's burning rate is about 1 second per centimeter.

This is the diagram (labels in portuguese, sorry) and a photo of my fuse (burned):

post-11355-0-38078100-1341017751_thumb.jpg post-11355-0-37050000-1341017810_thumb.jpg

Hope to help someone!

I can't imagine it burning differently to quick match, but I'll have to give it a try.

I can't imagine it burning differently to quick match, but I'll have to give it a try.

It can't burn like quick match, because there's no open spaces between the paper and the black match with air to increase the burn rate.

It burns like a real time fuse.

I tried make some thing like this once I just rapped my bm with paper tape really tight but it still burnt like qm

bob

I tried make some thing like this once I just rapped my bm with paper tape really tight but it still burnt like qm

bob

You have to attach the paper all around with string to prevent open spaces inside it.

Why not just roll a tube and make a spolette then? Much sturdier, and thus more reliable.

This core is really thin and fragile. Also with the slightest gap the fire will jump, giving you quickmatch.

I like that you're being innovative, but the timing of a shell really has to be something you can depend on.

Why not just roll a tube and make a spolette then? Much sturdier, and thus more reliable.

This core is really thin and fragile. Also with the slightest gap the fire will jump, giving you quickmatch.

I like that you're being innovative, but the timing of a shell really has to be something you can depend on.

No, i tested a lot of fuses made by that way and all of them was been completely fire proof.

Remember that i've rolled 5 cm of toilet paper, a layer of string, 5 cm of kraft and another layer of string around the black match. It's completly impossible the fire to escape. And it has a common burning rate, equal or similar to the comercial time fuses.

Here you can see the core of the fuse:

post-11355-0-30252900-1341351071_thumb.jpg

I would have to say this may somewhat depend on the manipulator. Overall it is not the way to go, but if availability or prices really suck and you can get it to work well enough then things like this might make more sense. I know I have access to many things and I would never attempt this simply because I always have enough of my own projects. If it works for you great! An exact timing from fuse to fuse I think would get ugly in a hurry, especially when know time fuse manufacturers can suck. It looks like some very nice winding work and I do believe that you were able to smartly wind it tight enough. I also believe this could not be not very well by others. It's all part of pyro. In the simplest of terms I have to say a very good job on this but in reality for many others there are better ways.

Thanks for posting this. It is cool to see what other do for the sake of need, if not just to see if it can be done!cool2.gif

Mark

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

it's an old post and the link to the picture is probably dead.

Nope. He should be able to see it now. Some uploads and gallery images are not viewable to members with zero posts. It's a side effect of one of our (effective) spam fighting measures.

Nope. He should be able to see it now. Some uploads and gallery images are not viewable to members with zero posts. It's a side effect of one of our (effective) spam fighting measures.

Gotcha! Forgot about that, it's been so long ago now. :blush:

• 3 months later...

What if you just took a 1/4" piece of dowel (or something like that) and wrapped a measured length of visco fuse around it in a spiral then put another tube around that?

No. Good quality visco is resistant to lighting from the side, but in that orientation it will eventually skip ahead.

• 2 months later...

Jeez..I dunno..I used to use visco wrapped in masking tape. Fray the end, prime with pulverone/NC. Worked fine.

• 1 month later...

Would it not be better to just make a specific batch of 60:30:10 BP and spend the first 20g timing it until you get the burn time you want and ram some spolettes the same way each time?

Would it not be better to just make a specific batch of 60:30:10 BP and spend the first 20g timing it until you get the burn time you want and ram some spolettes the same way each time?

No, it wont.

The for ula you posted is rocket fuel, it burns slower then bp, but spolettes need fast bp.

If your bp is fast you need a thicker lenght of bp, which hells with blow through.

Also it keeps variation in timing smaller. Just imagine bp burns at about 1 s/cm and glusatz at 14 cm s/cm.

In a 6 mm tube 0.2 g comp make a variation of about 0.1 cm. If this is error the bp spolette will have a variatio 0.1 s i timing the glusatz 1.4 seconds.

Formula aside, the concept is right. It is best to have a batch of BP specifically for spolette use only. You can time it, and have an accurate measure going forward. Spolettes can be very accurate timing devices if the right methods are followed.

Another common method is to use commercial meal D for making spolettes. I know several people who make their own BP, but utilize commercial powder for very specific applications like this. Commercial powder is blended to maintain a consistent set of properties, which is to our advantage in instances like this.

• 1 month later...

i know this is a old post , i had to give it a try. i can get time fuse here and sometimes spoletts are just to big. the first 5 i made turned into rockets. i reread the instructions and built 10 more, they seemed to work good. 10 cm. long and the burn times were 7.10 to 7.87 seconds except for 2 outlaws i burnt for 8.9, the other one burnt for 5.32. i dont know why they went short time and long time. it sure scews up the repeatibility.

memo