APC Forum

Pyroguide infected by malware?

Potassiumchlorate

Or is it just false alarm?

I had the same thing, I thought Google Chrome was taking the piss. But I guess I'm not the only one. I can vaguely remember this happening a while back, I'm not surprised with all of the random topics the are apropos of nothing there!

I have had a number of sites I visit normally that are legitimate tagged by google as harmful... it's very annoying because anytime I go in or view a different page it would have that annoying warning that makes you confirm like 10000 times that you want to disregard all safety and view the site. I don't know what happened to google...

did the same thing to me (pyro guide forum is ok though) I hope it gets fixed soon I really like that site but they do need to get the pages unlocked so people can start making new things on there

bob

It's probably false alarm, but it would be even more annoying to visit the site and get the computer infected by some shit.

AdmiralDonSnider is an admin there. He might know more.

I moderate as well, and havent seen any infected malware. It had been a ongoing prob with a few people spamming the site as well as a couple guys sabotaging the suppliers links etc. .

The pyroguide.com does indeed need a few up-to-date inputs, and Admiral has made many attempts to unlock the editing pages, as well as contact the site Owners for help, and received no response yet. It is a nice site, just needs to be updated. Ill check again to see what the deals with the false alarms ...

I cannot log into the site anymore as I forgot my password. Attempts to retrieve my passwork end up with an error message. i even emailed the admin on the site for help but got no response. Odd!

It's the Wiki that's infected, not the forum. I don't know who (if anyone) moderates the wiki, but any old Tom Dick or Harry can post files there. Indeed, I've done so myself, without having to show ID or wait for approval. Unfortunately the "hippy free love" phase of the Internet is over now, and the bad guys have moved in. I don't see that it will ever be possible again to run an open-access site with the doors unlocked.

It's the Wiki that's infected, not the forum. I don't know who (if anyone) moderates the wiki, but any old Tom Dick or Harry can post files there. Indeed, I've done so myself, without having to show ID or wait for approval. Unfortunately the "hippy free love" phase of the Internet is over now, and the bad guys have moved in. I don't see that it will ever be possible again to run an open-access site with the doors unlocked.

when was the last time you tried (if I may ask) it has been saying locked to prevent editing for quite some time now

bob

Oh, I haven't tried to edit there for about a year.

I´m a wiki moderator at Pyroguide but I too get a warning message when trying to enter the wiki, saying the page is infected. No clue!!

I tried my best to resolve the "no edit" problem a few weeks ago, but without any support from Jamesy, who is the site owner and only one who can do certain software changes, I was unsuccessfull. It´s pretty annoying to send 10+ PMs to this guy and not receive a single response.

I hope people will continue help Pyroguide develop and come back, as many including me have invested huge amounts of effort in providing the amateur community a free source of information. As any sources editable by everyone it does have its misinformations, but given experienced pyros decide to contribute it´s also a possible source of valuable content.

Admiral

I´m a wiki moderator at Pyroguide but I too get a warning message when trying to enter the wiki, saying the page is infected. No clue!!

It should be safe enough to go in and check it out with Javascript disabled, unless the in-site links have been hacked. But you can put a condom on links by copying and pasting into the address bar instead of just clicking, when you should be able to see by inspection if they lead off-site

yes I under stand that with out the help of jamsey it must be really hard if not impossible

I sent him a email and pm a few months ago still no reply (not about editing)

if I sound like I'm mad at you trust me I'm not, I'm very happy with what you have done!

I would help with it if I could but I know as much about computers as a monkey :blush:

bob

Is the guy who owns pyroguide even around, like if he has a phone number, etc. has anyone called him to see if he's around?

It's possible he's either in hiding or got busted by the ATF...

he's from Australia isn't he?

bob

Edited by bob

he's from Australia isn't he?

bob

Yes he is.

He seems to be just really busy all the time and after all I´m thankful that he still hosts and pays the server, although it is annoying to receive no responses even as a member of staff.

• 1 month later...

Yes the site is infected.

It is infected with "JS/BlacoleRef.BO"

The infected file is located at "www.pyroguide.com\skins\common\wikibits.js@1"

I would guess it is a silent downloader/javadriveby..

Yes the site is infected.

It is infected with "JS/BlacoleRef.BO"

The infected file is located at "www.pyroguide.com\skins\common\wikibits.js@1"

I would guess it is a silent downloader/javadriveby..

Yes, ive attepted to solve this issue my self however had no luck at all. his stuff is pretty tight.

As much as i love using pyroguide i would like to discourage everyone not using antivirus and malware protection software to not use this site for now.

ive tried contacting him using all my resources available however only time will tell if he responds.

We may want to look into alternative plans such as replicating the site or simply rebuilding it.. however there are over 1000 articles to be read on there. this will be no easy task.

for now i only hope jamsey checks his email.

-Cross

• 4 weeks later...

As I wanted to read pyroguide offline, I took a copy of the website and have it on my hard drive.

The copy I have is dated 9th June, and a lot of the images are missing, though I seem to have 99% of the text.

If someone out there can use this to restore the website, get in touch and I'll get the files to you

• 1 month later...

Great News Everyone!!!!

Jamsey is back!!!!

Jamsey is the owner of the website pyroguide.com and has posted an update on pyroguideforums.com in regards to the site. it is currently offline as he is updating the software and security. The website should be back up soon!!

http://74.220.215.62....php?f=1&t=2109

Thank you all for your patience.

-Crossout

Edited by CrossOut