APC Forum

Aluminum Powder Identification help

Shadowcat1969

A few years ago, before I got serious about pyro, I picked up some aluminum powder off ebay. It is Sulzer-Metco SP10527 and all the information I have been able to find so far simply lists this as a "very fine" and for thermal painting. It seems to be a sub 100 mesh, that is the smallest screen I have and it passes right through, it also behaves as if it is spherical or spheroidal.

I'd like to find out more about it and just how useful it is for pyro, if at all.

Any information that anybody has on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sphericals are often just a dull gray dust, while flakes tend to be shinier. Dark pyros are obviously dark (almost charcoal like).

It would probably be very good for some glitter stars or silver streamers. They usually call for fine mesh atomized Al, and it's often not too picky what the specifics for it are. I doubt it would hold many other uses unless it will work for reports.

My atomzied aluminium is actually a little bit brighter than magnesium.

There is "dark" aluminium that isn't really dark in colour, though. But it's darker than atomized. A simple way to test it is to make a small mix with potassium perchlorate, standard 70:30. The dark aluminium mix will explode, while the atomized might actually be hard to ignite and will only burn giving off sparks.

It would probably be very good for some glitter stars or silver streamers. They usually call for fine mesh atomized Al, and it's often not too picky what the specifics for it are. I doubt it would hold many other uses unless it will work for reports.

That is pretty much the conclusion I had drawn for it.

PotassiumChlorate: It does not ignite when mixed in place of Dark Aluminum in a Flash comp, I had already tried that in order to try to determine what I might be able to do with this stuff. It was cheap, and I have plenty of other aluminums for various purposes, but it would be nice to find this one's "niche" so to speak.

Thanks all for the replies......I'll let you know if/when I eventually find a good use for this.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago, before I got serious about pyro, I picked up some aluminum powder off ebay. It is Sulzer-Metco SP10527 and all the information I have been able to find so far simply lists this as a "very fine" and for thermal painting. It seems to be a sub 100 mesh, that is the smallest screen I have and it passes right through, it also behaves as if it is spherical or spheroidal.

I'd like to find out more about it and just how useful it is for pyro, if at all.

Any information that anybody has on this would be greatly appreciated.

visit to skylighter.com and go to project plan.

You will get your answer there.