APC Forum

How to reduce a block of magnesium to usable flakes, turnings ect.

dangerousamateur

Hi,

after watching californiapyros gogetter video I came to my mind that I still have a big block of mg in storage.

I found several offers for magnesium turnings, but people allways want so much money for them (in europe) - forget it.

I want the ships for colored stars and bengal fires, and if I remeber correctly I also once used quite big turnings in perchlorate flash, and the results where very good/fast.

Now I do not have any heavy machinery here. The sander sucks, the powder is rather to fine and the quantity is far to small.

I'm going to use a drill. Now since I'm not very experienced in working with metal stuff, perhaps you can give me some hints

-What speed is recommended to get chips or flakes rather than long turnings?

-Maybe something else than a common metal drillbit (if not to expensive)?

-Do you suggest any kind of coolant/lubricant? Ethanol, motor oil, ect?

PS:

yes, I'm aware of the fire hazard...

That would be a way, but I don't want to put that much effort in it. Also I don't need a very fine powder.

That would be a way, but I don't want to put that much effort in it. Also I don't need a very fine powder.

The problem that I see is the oxidization that happens when you shave it from the block. If you shave it under oil, you are golden and if you use a hand saw like a bow saw, you will have no issues building enough heat to start a fire but I have seen a couple crotch-rocket crank casings go up in flames from using a skill saw to cut them up.

I have used a band saw with a speed controller to cut up a mower deck with no troubles too but then again, the machine used coolant on the blade.

-dag

Use a wire brush. Either rasp it by hand with a file card attached to a wood block, or use a stiff steel brush in a drill, not too fast. This is the commercial method for medium (60~100 mesh) grades.

No magnalium please, I want pure magnesium. I've got magnalium in several sizes, so theres no need.

The wire brush may be a solution, I've got one here.

But can't someone comment my drilling plan? Any experience here?

Would be the simplest solution. I really don't need a fine powder, I just don't want turnings, because it's a pita to mix them with anything because of their volume.

10-20mesh flakes would allready be fine enough...

I'm going to use a drill. Now since I'm not very experienced in working with metal stuff, perhaps you can give me some hints

-What speed is recommended to get chips or flakes rather than long turnings?

-Maybe something else than a common metal drillbit (if not to expensive)?

-Do you suggest any kind of coolant/lubricant? Ethanol, motor oil, ect?

Drill bits that you find at the hardware store have an angle ground on them that allows for the fastest cutting you can get. No drill bit you buy from the store will have a "chip breaker" so that you can get nice small chips. The best tool for this would be an end mill, regular sizing, small chips, controllable speeds and feeds.

I think a heavy wire brush will be your best bet.

-dag

• 2 weeks later...

Thats an easy one, you send it to me and I'll trade you huge piles of clean turnings for it!

Which incedentally, are nearly impossible to melt into magnalium without fires or heavy losses..

• 9 months later...
Magnesium won't oxide with water like aluminium does. Magnesium only oxides with water at temperatures of 100 degrees plus. Aluminium powder oxides form when you even look at the damn stuff!

On my planet at least magnesium in water yields magnesium hydroxide and hydrogen.

Yes, in my world where the laws of thermodynamics are involved, magnesium oxidizes in water as well, albeit not particularly rapidly like some other related metals.

Aluminum is actually less reactive in this regard since it forms a resilient oxide layer unlike magnesium.