APC Forum

WPA Do-It

Peret

Do It registration forms will go up on the WPA web site a few days after the 4th, now all the wrinkles have been worked out of the planning. The dates are September 20-22, clean-up on Sunday 23rd. Do It is at Hawthorne, Nevada - Hawthorne is half way down the state on the left, at the south end of Walker Lake. The costs will be:

Adult Member $60

Spouse/partner $25

Under-18 $10

Student member $25 (proof of college enrollment required)

Everyone contributes a $15 clean-up fee on top. The total clean-up money is divided equally among those still present when clean-up is completed.

Current paid-up WPA membership is required for adult members and students. Spouses and under-18s need not be members, but must be accompanied by one.

For those who have never been, this is mainly a builder event. There are no seminars, though there are lots of friendly, knowledgeable pyros to give informal advice. There is no curfew in the build area - if you can see to work, you can build all night. Commercial product from Flying Phoenix is on sale, and powder from Bear River Powder. These should be ordered in advance to be sure of getting what you want, though there may be a little extra, and there is a Class C vendor tent for those impulse purchases. Price lists and forms will be up on the WPA web site soon. There will probably NOT be a chemical vendor on site. There will be no commercial shows - everything fired will be made or purchased by the attendees.

Even though prices have gone up a bit this year, Do It is a good deal less expensive than Winter Blast, especially for spouses and minors, and you can stay four nights at the El Capitan motel for less than I paid PER NIGHT at Winter Blast. The weather is usually perfect and there are no pesky flies or mosquitoes. The locals are friendly - the local sheriff and fire marshal built and fired their own shells with us last year. This is a seriously fun event. If you can only afford the time or money for one event a year, WPA is the club to join and this is the event you have to be at. See you there!

Do It registration forms will go up on the WPA web site a few days after the 4th, now all the wrinkles have been worked out of the planning. The dates are September 20-22, clean-up on Sunday 23rd. Do It is at Hawthorne, Nevada - Hawthorne is half way down the state on the left, at the south end of Walker Lake. The costs will be:

Adult Member $60

Spouse/partner $25

Under-18 $10

Student member $25 (proof of college enrollment required)

Everyone contributes a $15 clean-up fee on top. The total clean-up money is divided equally among those still present when clean-up is completed.

Current paid-up WPA membership is required for adult members and students. Spouses and under-18s need not be members, but must be accompanied by one.

For those who have never been, this is mainly a builder event. There are no seminars, though there are lots of friendly, knowledgeable pyros to give informal advice. There is no curfew in the build area - if you can see to work, you can build all night. Commercial product from Flying Phoenix is on sale, and powder from Bear River Powder. These should be ordered in advance to be sure of getting what you want, though there may be a little extra, and there is a Class C vendor tent for those impulse purchases. Price lists and forms will be up on the WPA web site soon. There will probably NOT be a chemical vendor on site. There will be no commercial shows - everything fired will be made or purchased by the attendees.

Even though prices have gone up a bit this year, Do It is a good deal less expensive than Winter Blast, especially for spouses and minors, and you can stay four nights at the El Capitan motel for less than I paid PER NIGHT at Winter Blast. The weather is usually perfect and there are no pesky flies or mosquitoes. The locals are friendly - the local sheriff and fire marshal built and fired their own shells with us last year. This is a seriously fun event. If you can only afford the time or money for one event a year, WPA is the club to join and this is the event you have to be at. See you there!

Got a back seat open for a Northerner? whistle.gif

-dag

Got a back seat open for a Northerner? whistle.gif

-dag

Sure, we're non-discriminatory. We even allow Southerners. ^_^

Swell! I'll bring some Lutefisk for you two to try. ;)

-dag

Swell! I'll bring some Lutefisk for you two to try. ;)

-dag

Hmmm, I may have to try that (I wonder how if that would go with hummous?!)

You coming out for Do-It, dag? :D Great!, see you there.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

WSM B)

I dont know at this time if both the wife and I can make it or not but we are going to try.

-dag

• 1 month later...

Hi There Pyro's

I am planning on driving out from the Bay Area to Hawethorne on a road trip and need to what the details of this event are.. I am not a WPA member so does this mean I cannot attent. Can I show up and watch what others are shooting ??? Can I purchase class C from the vendors there and shoot on the site or is this limited to members ??? Can I just join and pay my fee's and enjoy the event like members.. Sorry I am a newbe and have lots of questions.

Thanks Pyrobob12

For those of you who are planning on attending this event but have not yet registered, DO-IT NOW. I'm hearing if 40 more members do not sign up by sept 5th, the board might pull the plug on do-it this year.

Hi There Pyro's

I am planning on driving out from the Bay Area to Hawethorne on a road trip and need to what the details of this event are.. I am not a WPA member so does this mean I cannot attent. Can I show up and watch what others are shooting ??? Can I purchase class C from the vendors there and shoot on the site or is this limited to members ??? Can I just join and pay my fee's and enjoy the event like members.. Sorry I am a newbe and have lots of questions.

Thanks Pyrobob12

Bob,

You have to be a member to attend the event, otherwise you're going to be sitting on the side of the road with the general public watching. You can sign up for your membership and the event at:

http://www.westernpyro.org.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Over my dead body will they pull the plug with only 3 weeks to go, but don't let that discourage anyone from signing up. If you plan to go but can't afford to pay yet, you're far from alone, but drop me a note and I'll see it gets to the right person.

Incidentally, you can show up on site at Do It and register at the gate. Not a lot of people know that.

i'm officially signed up! excited to make some shells :D

WSM B)

Sadly, got too much to do and can't make it. Those who do go, have a great time.:D

WSM B)

Sadly, got too much to do and can't make it. Those who do go, have a great time.:D

WSM B)

Dang !!! Are you sure ???? Twist your armwhistle.gif...

I am signed up as well. Going to be there for sure. I so far have one other person going with me , and two who backed out due to $ . I hope to catch up with you fellows out there. Sounds like it may be a good one this year. We should pick a spot to meet after everyone gets settled in after the 1st day. Would be nice to place a face with a nameglare.gif.

I'll be getting there Wednesday, so that I get a full day's work on Thursday. Mrs P is also excited about going - I'm so lucky.

Ill be late on thurs evening due to work ....but will be there !!!

Mr P is a lucky fellow indeed. If my wife had the time off she would be there as well.dry2.gif I know what you mean , lucky to have a spouse who digs your hobby!!!wub.gif

I'll be getting there Wednesday, so that I get a full day's work on Thursday. Mrs P is also excited about going - I'm so lucky.

Unless I get a last minute deal of air fare, I am out. Looks like we will shoot for WWB instead. Give my love to Mrs. P for me.

-dag

Unless I get a last minute deal of air fare, I am out. Looks like we will shoot for WWB instead. Give my love to Mrs. P for me.

-dag

Sorry to hear that dag, If you go to WWB one of us can "sponser" you, allowing you to get in for free cool2.gif

Dang guys, I don't know what to say!

I'm taking the Mrs. to WWB if we go, we have it planned out and are saving for it, as long as she can take the time off, we are good to go. As far as Do It goes, the Mrs. is opening three new stores and is stuck here for the duration so I may just go up to visit Mumpyro in October and see how much trouble I can get into there with the crew.

Spirit has a round trip for $325.00, now to see if the boss will let out for four days...

-dag

• 2 weeks later...
We did it. Just an amazing atmosphere and an unbelievable quality of workmanship. It was great meeting up with many people from the forum. I didn't do much, just a few rockets, but they all took off like, well, like a rocket and I was very pleased with them. Mrs P made 8 shells with tourbillons, timed reports etc.

Boy was that a fun event! got some good rockets and shells done and met lots of APC friends as well. Do-It was awesome!