APC Forum

Static Generator For Shock Sensitivity Tests

NightHawkInLight

I gave a few hints that I was working on this project in a previous thread that I can't remember any longer, but here is a device that may be a decent tool for testing electrical sensitivity of various comps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvspL4kMY54

What also may work nicely and require a little less work is to use a disassembled automotive air ionizer connected directly to a battery, though they seem to generate a lower voltage.

Hey, That is Awesome!!!! I have always wondered how those worked, and or where to buy one at. I met a fellow with one , and was amazed at the cool things that you could do with it. He used it for magicians tricks as well. One thing to try is a flipping a coin in ones hand( with the static charge created by passing the other hand under the hand cradling the coin). Water bends away from the finger when run out of the faucet.

Cool stuff!! I really love these little prank/ science devices. wub.gif

Have you by any chance measured the output voltage and/or amperage of that device? With an adjustable power source, do you think it might be able to be made into a static sensitivity testing device? I really have very little idea how any of the electronics in these things work.

Hey, That is Awesome!!!! I have always wondered how those worked, and or where to buy one at. I met a fellow with one , and was amazed at the cool things that you could do with it. He used it for magicians tricks as well. One thing to try is a flipping a coin in ones hand( with the static charge created by passing the other hand under the hand cradling the coin). Water bends away from the finger when run out of the faucet.

Cool stuff!! I really love these little prank/ science devices. wub.gif

Cool ideas, I'll have to give those a try. I have no clue how that coin trick might work but maybe I'll figure it out.

Have you by any chance measured the output voltage and/or amperage of that device? With an adjustable power source, do you think it might be able to be made into a static sensitivity testing device? I really have very little idea how any of the electronics in these things work.

I have not measured the output. Just to make the arcs that it does I believe it's at least 10,000v, don't know about the amperage. Using some sort of dimmer switch and powering the device right from a wall outlet I'm sure you could give it adjustable output, but you would need some pretty heavy precautionary measures if feeding it with that much power. I'm not comfortable enough with my high voltage handling skills to be sure of safety at that point.

I believe that the devise may have had a secondary output, maybe switched. It seemed that it was attached to the sleeve of the fellows arm, and when waved under the other hand with the coin ( about 6-8in below) , the coin would dance and flip, almost levitate. Not sure if the coin was special to the application . Heck it may not even be relate to the static discharge devise. This fellow always had something up his sleeve whistle.gif. It could have been just a magnetic trick, and I assumed that it was relate to the static devise due to it just being used . But, the water trick was something that you'd get a kick out of, plus the shock is more intense if you touch the water out of the tap ....2blink.gif