APC Forum

candy apple green

taiwanluthiers

I used Shimzu green brillant and ended up getting a yellowish candy green... I suspect its not supposed to be that way...

Shimizu green star brilliant - high temp

Barium nitrate 42

Magnesium (60 mesh coated with linseed oil) 25

PVC 15

Lampblack or Softwood airfloat 2

Potassium perchlorate 16

Add NC-solution in acetone, no water!

I did not have the magalium yet so I used the 325 spherical aluminum I have for now, chlorowax for pvc, and willow charcoal.

I also used an organically fueled green and it also gave me the same yellowish green color.

Hardt Green Star #4

Barium nitrate 30

Potassium perchlorate 44

Red gum 13

Charcoal airfloat 4

PVC 5

Dextrin 4

Add 25% alcohol / 75% water

Is that normal?

Edited by taiwanluthiers

How did you test is? As stars or a loose powder? Were you close or far away from it?

Aluminium won't give such a pure colour as Mg.

I tested it as a loose pile... if I made a star I need to make a larger batch... when I am doing something I am unsure of I make one gram of composition and test it loose. If it looks promising then I will go further.

The second comp had no metal but still I got light green. Is this usual for organically fueled stars?

I tested it as a loose pile... if I made a star I need to make a larger batch... when I am doing something I am unsure of I make one gram of composition and test it loose. If it looks promising then I will go further.

The second comp had no metal but still I got light green. Is this usual for organically fueled stars?

You should test them as stars and watch them from a distance, at least 10 meters, I'd say.

I think it's hard to get a deep organic green without barium chlorate. Nitrate is better than carbonate, but barium chlorate plays in a division completely of its own. The other guys here often say "It's expensive", "It's poisonous", "It's very sensitive", but it undeniably gives the best green.

When you have gotten hold of MgAl, try Kyle Kepley's Emerald Green:

Barium nitrate 50

Parlon 18

Magnalium 12

Potassium perchlorate 8

Sulfur 5

Charcoal 5

Red gum 2

Dextrin +5

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I can't find Barium Chlorate, I guess I can make some from sodium chlorate but how do I get the sodium out so that I don't get nothing but yellow? What is it about barium chlorate that makes it so good anyways?

I can't find Barium Chlorate, I guess I can make some from sodium chlorate but how do I get the sodium out so that I don't get nothing but yellow? What is it about barium chlorate that makes it so good anyways?

Well, getting the sodium chlorate out of it is tricky.

The beautiful thing with barium chlorate is that it carries its own chlorine, which is what gives the green colour. So when it gives off its oxygen to the fuel, you immediately get gaseous barium chloride.

It's hard to tell if the first formula was washed out because you tested it as a powder, or because you substituted aluminum for magnesium. Both may have an effect. It's possible to make aluminum fueled color compositions that have excellent colors, but you may find you need to use a more reactive form like flake, and possibly do some tweaking of the formula.

I wonder if your barium nitrate is impure? If there was a little strontium in it, that would cause a shift toward yellow. Barium and strontium are often found in the same ores and are difficult to separate because they're so similar chemically, so low grade industrial barium nitrate is probably contaminated. You could tell for sure if you look at the flame through a spectrometer. Build a CD Spectrometer (pdf).

http://www.amateurspectroscopy.com/Xenon-Barium-Strontium.jpg

The barium chloride spectrum wouldn't have the red and yellow lines, so if you see red and yellow lines in the spectrum you probably haven't got enough chlorine donor. Sodium contamination would show a single bright yellow line. Presence of the extra set of blue-green lines to the left would confirm strontium.

It is unlikely, because all the color chemicals I bought are all reagent grade, so it should be at least 99.9% pure. I might suspect that if it was technical grade...

or its possible it looks washed out because I burned it as loose powder...

post-13175-0-93301700-1340870916_thumb.jpg

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Then try compressing it into a star, to get the chlorine donor more intimately incorporated with the gas producing chemicals. If it's still yellowish try upping the chlorine donor. You need a little more PVC than Parlon or Saran.

Then try compressing it into a star, to get the chlorine donor more intimately incorporated with the gas producing chemicals. If it's still yellowish try upping the chlorine donor. You need a little more PVC than Parlon or Saran.

I am using chlorowax, do I need to modify its ratio for this?

I am using chlorowax, do I need to modify its ratio for this?

Is it the 70% chlorowax? In that case you don't need to modify anything at all.

I believe it is the 70% chlorowax... at least that what it says on the bottle.

OK, then it should be perfectly OK. You just need to mix it really good.

I use to mix small organic batches (10 grams or less) by carefully rubbing the composition with a wooden spoon.

If your chlorowax is a solid, it's around 70%. At least from the US supplier, all the lower chlorinated grades from 40-63% Cl are liquids.

While they may be labeled as reagent grade, such terminology is only as good as the quality control preformed.

I can confirm that its capable of producing green... I just made a bengal comp, 70 barium nitrate, 16 potassium chlorate, 13 shellac (was originally red gum), and 1 paraffin oil (did not use it)

I got a really nice green from the loose powder.

At first I used charcoal instead of shellac or red gum (because all of my shellac are all in big pieces rather than fine powder) and it did not produce any green... which meant the charcoal made the comp burn too hot causing the color to wash out (or the charcoal contains sodium)

For the sake of sanity, should I just go ahead and order some red gum, instead of finding ways to powder the shellac?

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Well, shellac gives a very pure colour and is the traditional firework resin. But if you intend to make perchlorate based comps, red gum is more suited for it.

When it comes to flake shellac, you can dissolve it in boiling alcohol, 100 parts of shellac and 80 parts alcohol, by volume. This is good for Bengal fires. :)

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Nah... I think I'll go with chlorates and prime any stars with sulfurless bp. Chlorates are just much cheaper.

Also how do I boil alcohol without having a pot of "Flaming Moe's"?

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Nah... I think I'll go with chlorates and prime any stars with sulfurless bp. Chlorates are just much cheaper.

Also how do I boil alcohol without having a pot of "Flaming Moe's"?

:lol:

I used to put it in a glass jar, the kind that you have jam etc in. Then I put the glass jar in a pan with water. Alcohol boils at 79oC, i.e. before the water boils, so the water just has to be hot but not boiling.

I just tried the emerald green comp, because I just got the magalium today. VERY nice green! Well it looks kinda light burned in a loose pile, but it will look much better in a star and far away.

thanks guys.

Does anyone have a formula that actually burns a lemon lime green? I tried a formula the other day that was labeled that from United Nuclear. It didn't really have colored, it was a washed out white kind of.

In that Spanish composition file it says that if you add 2% sodium oxalate to the green comps, you will get lime green. I think cryolite might also do.

The Spanish greens are:

Potassium perchlorate 24

Barium nitrate 24

Barium carbonate 11

Magnalium <63µm 15

Parlon 12

Red gum 9

Dextrin 4

and

Potassium perchlorate 18

Barium nitrate 45

Magnalium <63µm 14