APC Forum

I'm new here (Introduce and some questions)

PyroLearner1989

Hello AP forum members!

I am new here to this forum, been learning about pyro stuff for about 3 years now. I had a quick question on some sources I use currently and have used in the past. http://firechemical.com/ is the website. Owner of pyrocreations (very good person by the way, Steve is a great guy). I use to use American PyroSupply along with bentspoon materials but they limited down some quantities down to single pound orders. Does firechemical seem to be good quality? If his other website if any indication of customer service and quality then I would answer yes. I've been craving the idea of making a loud aerial saulte recently (will have to save that for next year). Would you basically buy the wooden balls of the right size and do 70/30 Al to KCLO4 about 1/2 of the ball full. Then do the math on how many grams of triple A black powder you need for the charge? Could you confine the charge say for a 3in aerial saulte by using a 1inx4in tube hot glued on the bottom of the ball (capped on the end and running the fuse from inside the charge device then out through the side?) Also I never used ebay I feel like I've down my research when it came to that!

The standard advice for those who are new to pyrotechnics is to avoid flash mixtures until you have some experience under your belt. The reasoning is that flash is one of the more sensitive compositions that we as fireworkers use, and it is certainly very unforgiving if you were to have an accident.

Plenty of people begin with flash, and no one can force you not to use it, but you would do well to heed my advice.

Do not use wooden balls, as they would create dangerous fragmentation. There is no reason to use anything besides paper.

As you gain experience, the successful construction of a color shell, rocket, or wheel will quickly become more rewarding than the construction of salutes.

The link below contains a video of a young person blowing his hand off with a homemade device. If you watch it, I think you will reconsider your desire to make salutes.

http://www.amateurpy...g-captain-hook/

With proper lift powder, there is no reason to confine the lift charge of a ball shell.

Read, read, and read some more. This site is a fantastic resource.

The standard advice for those who are new to pyrotechnics is to avoid flash mixtures until you have some experience under your belt. The reasoning is that flash is one of the more sensitive compositions that we as fireworkers use, and it is certainly very unforgiving if you were to have an accident.

Plenty of people begin with flash, and no one can force you not to use it, but you would do well to heed my advice.

Do not use wooden balls, as they would create dangerous fragmentation. There is no reason to use anything besides paper.

As you gain experience, the successful construction of a color shell, rocket, or wheel will quickly become more rewarding than the construction of salutes.

The link below contains a video of a young person blowing his hand off with a homemade device. If you watch it, I think you will reconsider your desire to make salutes.

http://www.amateurpy...g-captain-hook/

With proper lift powder, there is no reason to confine the lift charge of a ball shell.

Read, read, and read some more. This site is a fantastic resource.

Thank you so much for that link!! I wasn't going to do anything until I felt comfortable doing so..I will DEF do my reading as much as I possibly can, I will admit I wouldn't be stupid enough to ever light anything in my hand, let alone light a saulte without some sort of fail safe. Again I've always either wanted to know someone with TI saultes or have someone who knows alot about it show me how they work (probably would never make them myself).

You might try to join a local Pyrotechnic group in your area if possible.

Many groups across the country meet monthly and build pyro items and shoot them off.

You will learn the proper safe guards in making pyro items and handleing them.

If you are starting out in Pyro, you might look at Skylighter.com website.

They have very good tutorials on making various pyro items. (TurboPyro)

Have fun, and be safe!!

Mikeee :rolleyes: