APC Forum

Manganese dioxide rocket

WonderBoy

A 1lb MnO2 rocket.

This was my first attempt at this type of rocket, so I think it went pretty well, thanks to FrankRizzo for answering my questions. After launching it, I regret not waiting until dark.

A fellow club member shot this video. I shot it using my point and shoot camera; it was so bright on launch that it overloaded the sensor and created black lines in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtT70yTMiM&feature=relmfu

WB

yes please tell us the comp,and your tooling?

ive made a few in the past with pyro ali, but nowhere as good as those, I've always wondered if they could be a viable alternative to bp motors

Edited by drthrust

The composition is:

"MnO2 rocket

by andy h.

Manganese Dioxide (ceramic grade): 68

Magnalium (ball milled 6hr..dunno mesh, probably ~500-600): 32

Mix with 3% by weight of 5% NC lacquer solution, thinned with additional acetone to fully wet the mix. Then, granulate through 30mesh screen into little ''worms''."

I used 325 mesh MgAl, it may not have been as bright or fast as the 500 mesh specified, but it worked alright. I pressed it, with a nozzle, on my "standard" BP tooling. This one was lit from about the middle of the core, so it could have had a bit more thrust if it were lit from the top

Just the thought of something that hot going off in my hands would keep me away from ramming it.

WB

Do you think it can be rammed? It'd be fun to try this composition, but I don't have a press. Ruby Red, Electric Magenta and Kyle Kepley's Green can all be rammed, containing 12% MgAl and 8% potassium perchlorate. Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Do you think it can be rammed? It'd be fun to try this composition, but I don't have a press. Ruby Red, Electric Magenta and Kyle Kepley's Green can all be rammed, containing 12% MgAl and 8% potassium perchlorate.

Can we call you lefty? Seriously, the only fuel I feel is "safe" to ram is BP.

-dag

thanks wb ,i wasn't far off with mine, i used 70/30 but riced with mineral oil, i little hot for my liking im guessing the nc lacquer helps the control the burn

how sensitive are manganese dioxide comps?

The sensitivity goes up pretty quickly as you decrease the magnalium particle size. When I was initially experimenting with commercial MgAl, all I could find was 200-mesh. I performed the usual "hammmer on concrete" test for impact and friction sensitivity, and couldn' get it to pop. When I started using homemade, ball-milled MgAl however, I was able to get it to ignite by impact, but not friction.

Any fuel containing a powdered metal, magnesium especially, should *only* ever be pressed. MgAl has less sensitivity, but it will likely bite you when you least suspect it. If you don't have a press and need to hand-ram your motors, stick to BP-based fuels, and still be careful (welding gloves, eye protection, etc).

It'd be fun to try this composition, but I don't have a press. Ruby Red, Electric Magenta and Kyle Kepley's Green can all be rammed, containing 12% MgAl and 8% potassium perchlorate.

I once hammered Emarald Green and it made a crack like lead azide ;)

Wet and carefully pounded I do not think it would go off, but I cannot estimate the risk...

And a splash of hot manganese would be even more nasty.

Will it light from visco alone or did you use some primer?

I guess one could speed up the mix even more by using pure magnesium powder. Ball milling mgal is to much hassle imho.

I really like the idea of such rockets, because they do not use "normal" oxidisers. Buying or importing them is likely to get one in trouble here. Manganese dioxide is easily available and won't be monitored like nitrates and chlorates.

Edited by mabuse00

Germany is dreadfully politically correct and freedom-hating. You ought to be more like your neighbours in the east and south-east. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed the question about ignition. I "J" hooked a piece of visco and primed the end with an NC/fence post mixture. I stuck the fuse about halfway up the core, and it burned all the way up to the prime before igniting the fuel.

WB

Thx.

Oh, and after reading through this tread again... What kind of nozzle material did you use?

I would expect this fuel to be really rude to it...

Edited by mabuse00

I just used kitty litter. I imagine that there wasn't much of a nozzle left by the time the motor was finished burning.

WB