APC Forum

Flying Fish Fuse Prime for Shells?

alexpyro101

So i would like to make some flying fish shells this year for the 4th. I've done them before but one thing i'd notice is that not every fuse likes to ignite. I've tried priming with meal powder & red gum/dextrin. but still it seems like the powder likes to break off and the fuse doesn't always like to ignite.

I'm curious what primes any of you have came up with, or how to make sure they ignite.

• Like 1

I use meal and 5%dextrin in a slurry. I cut a bunch of fuses, stick them into a ring(like a napkin holder) to consolidate them, tie the bunch tight with a loop of string, then I dip the bunch in my slurry mix followed by a dunk in fine powder left from when I granulate my BP. I cut the string after it's dry and the prime on the end holds it in shape for loading. On the unprimed end I wrap a bit of light paper over the end and down the sides to inhibit lighting of both ends of the fuse. The paper is blown clear during break. I have also dipped the unprimed end in glue but some fuse stuck together that way. Edited by Short5
  • Like 1

I use meal and 5%dextrin in a slurry. I cut a bunch of fuses, stick them into a ring(like a napkin holder) to consolidate them, tie the bunch tight with a loop of string, then I dip the bunch in my slurry mix followed by a dunk in fine powder left from when I granulate my BP. I cut the string after it's dry and the prime on the end holds it in shape for loading. On the unprimed end I wrap a bit of light paper over the end and down the sides to inhibit lighting of both ends of the fuse. The paper is blown clear during break. I have also dipped the unprimed end in glue but some fuse stuck together that way.

thanks, ill just try using dextrin/bp again. maybe ill dip the unprimed end in sodium silicate.

thanks, ill just try using dextrin/bp again. maybe ill dip the unprimed end in sodium silicate.

Tried that too and found the fuse stuck together.