APC Forum

legality of pyrotechnics

taiwanluthiers

I am posting in this forum just because I am not sure where else is appropriate... there doesn't seem to be a legal forum.

I have been wondering about the legality of pyrotechnics. Like do you all have some kind of special license with the BATFE or something in order to practice pyrotechnics even as a hobby, or are there limits to devices that you can make before you have to be licensed?

I am using US laws as an example, although I live in Taiwan so US laws don't apply, but laws may be more lax than in the US, or if it isn't its not enforced.

I know pyrotechnic suppliers will sell you any chemicals (within reasonable limits) without asking for a license, but would it be illegal to actually mix a comp, load it into a shell, and fire it?

I have been involved with rocketry in the US a long time ago, I was wondering have they successfully gotten APCP delisted as an explosive? I was thinking that they weren't successful because America seems to get more paranoid by the minute. Fortunately in Taiwan the level of paranoia isn't really there...

In the US, under Federal law it's lawful to make most kinds of pyrotechnics without a license as long as they're made and fired the same day on your own property. Overnight storage without a license is lawful if you have an "approved" magazine, that is, one that complies with the regulations and would be approved if you did apply for a license. Transporting them off your property, however, is not lawful without a license. If you belong to one of the licensed clubs like PGI, you can make and shoot, and purchase 1.3G, at club events under the club license. Usually this doesn't cover you for transportation, but I see that this year, for the first time, PGI members can apply to be listed on the PGI license for the purpose of transporting pyro to a PGI event.

Local state, county or city laws may be significantly more restrictive, however.

Tai Fu? Is that you?

The US rocketry organizations were successful in their suit against the ATFE, and APCP is no longer listed as an explosive. You can go buy an N motor over the counter...

Kevin

Yea its me, I've taken an extended hiatus on pyrotechnics due to lack of space (which is like gold in Taiwan) and fear of getting in trouble as I was unfamiliar with local laws/custom at the time.

Over the years I've seen way too many fireworks, fired even at 3 in the morning (it's actually against the law but if you call the cops about fireworks, they'll just tell you to mind your own business). In Taiwan fireworks are fired year round, because it's used for just about anything like weddings and celebrations, as well as temple stuff (where the bulk of the firework is used) and *shudder* elections.

I've read there are no clear laws banning rocketry in Taiwan (guns and weapons are illegal however) but the problem is at least for me, a lack of support. No rocketry clubs, at least not one I can find, and can't even buy rocket motors because no one really sells them. One has even said its probably better and safer to make your own because people who makes them here (if any) can't generally be trusted. AP/KP can be bought from a chemical supplier (but you have to ask for it), no questions asked, although there appears to be a 50kg legal limit on the possession of those chemicals because there have been serious problem with illegal firework factories. I do not think I will exceed that limit in the foreseeable future. About the only rocketry I hear about in Taiwan (aside from military) are water or baking soda/vinegar rockets... sorry to say if it contains no pyrotechnic material, it's no fun. Well, there's always bottle rocket and they do have some BIG stuff here... as in some of them would probably be considered class B (or 1.3) in the US. No one cares about terrorism in Taiwan, its something that we hear about but it's remote. Real class B stuff can even be purchased (as some foreigner have managed to, and did something REALLY stupid with it) if you know the right people, and they don't ask you any question either.

As for city/county laws, they're a joke even though on the surface it appears strict. For example the laws in Taipei/New Taipei (formally Taipei county) says no fireworks may be fired within 100 meter of a subway station. Except at regular new years, LOTS of fireworks fired, all within 15 meters of a subway station, in a park with a clear sign that says fireworks are not allowed at the park. There are even people (most likely unlicensed) who sells fireworks to people there just for convenience.

I am glad to hear that the rocketry associations have been successful in their campaign, I was really expecting the worst because last I heard (many years ago) that there were no such thing as "Easy Access" anymore because the ATFE considered any motor that contains more than 62.5 grams of propellant to be restricted, and cutting the grains up was not an acceptable loophole.

I turned to luthiery because at the time rocketry, pyrotechnics, or guns was not viable in Taiwan as a hobby so spent nearly all of my discretionary money in advancing that hobby. And now I turned it into a career because skilled workers are hard to find, since everyone's so caught up on exams that few came out of university with any useful skill. Customers were few but the few are very satisfied with my work. Right now I am just about finished with restoring a couple of 1930's Stella guitar that were in very bad shape when it got here.

Edited by taiwanluthiers