APC Forum

Pyros in Taiwan?

taiwanluthiers

Taiwan seems to be the land full of fireworks, so many that its hard to sleep at night sometimes (they use them whenever there's a god's birthday, and since they got lots of them, you get the picture).

I am rediscovering my passion for pyrotechnics. I used to practice pyrotechnics as a hobby in the US but stopped for a long time because of various stuff in my life. Mostly it was that I thought pyrotechnics is completely illegal in Taiwan or something (because I know guns are illegal here). Well I discovered many chemical suppliers throughout Taipei who will sell just about any chemicals you can find at skylighter.com, no questions asked. That really rekindled my passion in pyrotechnics. At the shop I was at they only had reagent grade Potassium Perchlorate which was expensive as hell, but I bought it anyways and discovered through googling that I could ask them to order technical grades that would cost half as much. Did a little "experiment" by mixing some KP with sawdust and lit it for kicks.

I am a luthier by trade, I repair music instruments, and I am just starting in my career.

I was just wondering are there anyone here who is in Taiwan at the moment?

Not sure whether we have any members from Taiwan - closest I can think of is Paul who is in Bangkok.

http://www.amateurpy...39-bangkokpyro/

I'm sure the members here would be interested to hear more about Taiwanese pyro - do they have any kind of specialities?

I am sure they do, just that they don't speak English.

I do know that there's this strange festival in Taiwan where everyone crowds a street and sets off fireworks. Somehow getting burned by fireworks is an honor in that festival. I've seen one where someone just tossed a whole box of firecrackers into a fire.

Yea its weird here, not sure what laws are here but if there are any they don't seem well enforced. Could even get stuff even though it's "controlled".

Just the look on the guy in the middles face makes me laugh. All I can think about is that they must have some seriously spicy bean dishes in Taiwan.