APC Forum

Flashpowder out of plaster of paris/magnesium

Polumna

hi dudes

The flash-powder video that

i´ve post here in this thread WAS from mg-fillings!!!

PS: If you mix these fillings with Kno3 and fill the flash

in a garden hose, you will have a bang like thunder and a very bright flash.

I made this with my friend near his house(100m) and his mother said the windows were shaken !!!!

What do you think about the tubes???

polumna

Ok, seriously, no one needs a picture of tubes that big. I took the liberty of reducing it I suppose you could say. Reduced out of existance.

hi

I make my polumnas out of computerpaper and woodglue

the result is a violent explosion and if i want some effect´s, i mix charcoal to the

flashpowder(2%)for golden sparks, aprkler-powder or Bano3 for green flash

and Al-fillings for silver sparks.

But a negative aspect of these bangers is that the polumnas don´t destroy completely( just one side is damaged :angry:

bye then

polumna :rolleyes:

Ok, I am getting sick and tired of all this flash talk. I'm warning you right now. If I see one more post out of you about flash, or salutes, or grinding down Mg for flash you're getting banned for two weeks.
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I tried the plaster/mg for a break charge, and i just can't get it to light (even with visco fuse in it)! My ratio was 1:1. Am I doing something wrong???

By the way polumna, making any flash device that big is just asking for a serios injury. Thats not pyrotechnics, that's insanity. It's safest just to stay away from flash, but I can't get my shells to break now that I'm moving up to bigger things.

This flash need some serious heat to light. Even then, it probably needs some major confinement to burn at any appreciable speed. As much as I hate to say this, using a more sensitive powder is necessary.

Polumna your a kewl and a post whore! You should have tried google before you come asking ot be spoonfed every thing under the sun. Why did nobody tell him this yet? And for the idiots MgSo4 is sold as epson salt. What the hell you mean by where cfani get some? ARe you just dumb? Sulfates are uswed as laxitives all the time. BaSO4 will make ok, light green flash with Mg, magnalium, and Al. MgSO4 will work with Mg and im sure you could find good resultes with Magnalium, not sure about Al because it dont make to good of flash even with Mg. CaSO4/Al is ok for putting out heat but doesnt work well for a thermite effect. And Mg fillings, grindings and all other forms of fine Mg usually burns fast enough for flash if oxidised correctly. Ive made some fast KNO3/Mg from grindings off a 60grit sanding drum. SO it does work. But its a real fuzzy Mg powder. Not to great for much else though due to its fuzzyness.

I personally dont think theres much experience needed to make flash, you either make it knowing its hazards or you make it not giving a fuck and end up hurting yourself. Which I dont really care about, because if you get burned by your work than you did something wrong or stupid. Its more oftren the second. Ive been in this hobby for almost 3 years now and made more flash than you spend time grinding Mg. Along with other misc. comps of mass quanities and other dangerous mixtures, Ive managed to never hurt, or burn myself or anyothers with my creations. Burnt myself on some hot things, whipping lighter flames, and glowing embers but never have I with anything ive made. Safety goes as far as common sense. You dont have to read for years about flash to make it, and no matter how much you read it will never get you hands on experience. Flash just burns fast and hot, its not really that sensitive, well if its not made with some stupid chems-there again is common sense, compared to other such as wistle mix or some chlorate/sulfur containing star comps. I did a hammer test compearing my whistle mix with my flash, and the whistle was by far more sensitive to impact and friction. So with that all said, quite being so damn stupid. Making salutes out of garden hose? Wtf? You sound like a little kid that been reading the ACB, not a hobbiest pyro. Good thing this aint BB, posting shit about making bombs out of everything you can find that holds powder. Theyd tell you to GTFO before, after and during flaming your ass, but im telling you to stick around and learn something. You have paper tubes, want a bigger boom? Get faster burniong powder or re-enforce the tubes, better yet buy some real tubes. 3/4" rocket tubes with 1/4" walls are killer salute tubes. THey come 7" long and you can cut them to any length you want. If you want something cheaper try 2 bottle caps end to end and taped up with some fiberglass tape. That eliminates the risk of flying end plugs and are faster to make. More tape louder the boom. You shouldnt need anything more than about 5g or flash. 2.5g makes a good ground salute but for headers and inserts I use 5g because theres more distance there for the sound to travel and I still want to hear a crisp crack. But Mg isnt the thing for flash, yes it make some good flash, but you should order either Al, or Magnalium as I do. Magnalium gives a distincitve sound when it burns, and its blinding. It also dont have to be that fine, 200 mesh will work just fine but the higher the mesh the better. I use KClO4, but it will work with SrNO3, and BaNO3 to make colored flashes. The best thing is it dont react with water like Mg does. Just dont screw up, dont get anyone hurt or killed(including yourelf), and take this as a learning experience.

Well, he prefers KMnO4 over KClO4 "because it makes a bigger boom and it is very stable."

Said to me recently on MSN (yes, he still is a kewl)

*lowers head and shakes*

OMG....

Ya but I got to bitch about something.

Well, he prefers KMnO4 over KClO4 "because no one will sell me KCLO4"

Said to me recently on MSN (yes, he still is a kewl)

FIXED!

My dad was replacing our kitchen sink today so everything from the cabinet under the sink was sitting on our island counter, including some MgSO4. I saw it and was tempted to see if it would burn bright aluminum but I never got around to it...I'll have to work out an excuse to come home from college to try this! "I have to do maintenance on my fish tanks!" Yeah, my parents will buy that.

Never mind that post. I thought I deleted it already. It was a slight mix up with a few posts. Got him confused with the topic starter. Sorry.

• 12 years later...

Ok, I am getting sick and tired of all this flash talk. I'm warning you right now. If I see one more post out of you about flash, or salutes, or grinding down Mg for flash you're getting banned for two weeks.

this guys don't understand my friend some things! i look here in forum some members that all ready must be banned! this guys start yesterday and tomorrow want to know about flash mixtures....

I spend 12 years in this hobby to learn how these chemicals react individually or combined and even now i still learning things!!

And where do I get ideas for who answers? This forum supposed to be active and talk each other for new ideas! Not only be members for people eyes!