APC Forum

How to make Kno3

Polumna

hello guys,

i´m very interested in learning how to make my own potassiumnitrate,

because I can´t get some Kno3 on my Hands.

So my Question is: How can I make cheap Kno3 out of easy obtainable material´s???

(dont care about my english, i´m from Germany:P)

cheers :)

Polumna

Go to Schimmelschmidt-hoechst.de, there you can get what you wan´t. It´s a saver way then to produce your own KNO3!

The short and simple answer is that you can't. The only way to make usable KNO3 would be to use materials much harder to obtain and substantially more expensive.

Also, for future reference, being from Germany doesn't excuse you from making sense. Your posts are pretty good and understandable, but I just want to make sure you know that being foreign doesn't get you any special treatment.

hello guys,

i´m very interested in learning how to make my own potassiumnitrate,

because I can´t get some Kno3 on my Hands.

So my Question is: How can I make cheap Kno3 out of easy obtainable material´s???

(dont care about my english, i´m from Germany:P)

cheers :)

Polumna

well, first your name seems to me like your a "k3wl", and kno3 can be purchased at any hardware store called stump remover, i believe they have a new one thats 100% kno3.

If you can get nitric acid then it's easy, but that's even harder. I'm 14 and I ordered mine off the internet, look up hydroponics sites, I live in NZ, no chemical suppliers thaat are worth buying from.

Don't be a k3wl, it's not worth it.

hi dudes

after new-years eve

i collect the BP-Bangers which didn´t explode,

brake them in 2 pieces, collect the BP, pour it in coffeefilter and add some boiling water trough this mix. the clear water which will drop out of the coffeefilter will be the Kno3 solution.

My personal record from collecting kno3 out of BP-Bangers was 900g.

And the best: Its priceless and very pure(<90%)!!!.

I use the Kno3 for making flashpowder (KNO3/AL/MG 50/30/20) or 50:50 Kno3/Mg)

Here is a Frame from FP (the full flash)with my Kno3 with Mg-powder that I made with a file:

or smokebombs, Flares and so on.

bye then

Polumna

Bildclip_02.dv

Just so you're aware, we are NOT a place that promotes the use of flash salutes. It seems that you are mainly interested in flash powder and bangers. Now, I encourage you to get into more pure pyro and away from salutes. They will just cause you trouble in due time. Neighbors are much less likely to call the police for a nice colorful fountain or rocket than just a random loud explosion.

Ok

I´ve forgot to say that bangers weren´t my passion Im also build huge Fountains

and Rockets(Kno3/Sucrose)

My favourite mix for fountains is

80%Bp

15%Al

5%Fe

I´ll try out groundflowers next time...

Polumna

• 4 weeks later...

I think my question belongs to this topic:

I can't get pure potassium nitrate, but i can get potassium sodium nitrate. I can crush it and I am able to make KNO3/Sugar smoke bomb, but its not pure. This crushed powder is colored pink, but I think it should be white. When I buy this mixture, it is not powder, there are pink and white little balls. My question is, that can I put these balls in water(I think the pink thing(I think its sodium) will come off) and then will I get potassium nitrate(these white balls, I can crush them later) and somekind of sodium(?nitrate?)/water mixture. Maybe there is some way to dry this pink water and use this sodium for something.

I hope this text is understandable, because Im not very good at english yet.

The answer to that question is no. That will not yield you a pure product. I can tell you how to get relatively pure KNO3 from that mix, but I would need to know how much sodium nitrate is in there compared to sodium nitrate. Do you happen to have this info? Perhaps a brandname to the product so I could try to search for the composition.

I think my question belongs to this topic:

I can't get pure potassium nitrate, but i can get potassium sodium nitrate. I can crush it and I am able to make KNO3/Sugar smoke bomb, but its not pure. This crushed powder is colored pink, but I think it should be white. When I buy this mixture, it is not powder, there are pink and white little balls. My question is, that can I put these balls in water(I think the pink thing(I think its sodium) will come off) and then will I get potassium nitrate(these white balls, I can crush them later) and somekind of sodium(?nitrate?)/water mixture. Maybe there is some way to dry this pink water and use this sodium for something.

I hope this text is understandable, because Im not very good at english yet.

First check if it's sodium, take a propane torch that has a blue flame and put it over the white/pink pellet. Yellow is sodium pinkish is potassium. You can place these pellets into boiling water and if they disolve, its a soluble salt(duh!) and then the insoluble impurities will come out. Usually the coating layer is sodium hydroxide, this is soluble to and very corrisble. Sodium will kill all color comps. into yellowish comps.

I doubt that it's pure sodium, as sodium is very reactive and will react with water, violently. Why don't you just pick put the pink ones and use the white ones? How are you buying this? as a fertalizer, a stump remover? When it is used with sugar, what color is the flame?

I went to garden shop, and checked everything out. I found 2 fertilizers. One was, what I talked about and the other one was (in straight translation) potassium sulfate. Here are both contents:

1. The one with pink little balls:

K2O: 14%

Na: 18%

N: 15%

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8373/dscf6991eb3.th.jpg

Pink balls are better seen when both fertilizers are shown.

2. The other one(it is white, like potassium nitrate should be):

K2O(as oxide): 54%

K(as element): 44,8%

S: 17%

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/7971/dscf6990lz8.th.jpg

And both:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8716/dscf6988xo0.th.jpg

This is a little harder, as it's not just KNO3 and NaNO3. Adding an molecular equivalent of KCl to the NaNO3. Recrystalizing twice will be make an acceptable product. NaCl solubility changes extremely little with temperature so you will get a high percentage of KNO3.

I really dont understand what you said in that post. Which fertilizer did you ment and could you simply explain how to get KNO3 from either one of these fertilizers?

If the fertilizer was only NaNO3 and KNO3 I could help you covert all the NaNO3 to KNO3. When you add KCl the following reaction happens.

NaNO3 + KCl ---> NaCl + KNO3

Heating it up to concentrate the soln, and then cooling it will give you primarily KNO3 precipitating. Recrystalizing again will give a reasonably pure product.

Could you just say can I use these pellets and sugar to make smoke bombs? Or can I use this white powder and sugar to make smoke bombs. Thing is, that potassium chloride is with too high price and it would be dumb to use a lot of money to make better KNO3, when I can use a little more impure.

Edit: I found one forum and I want to confirm my theory: If I take this KNO3/NaNO3 mix, mix it with water and then boil it until it crystallizes and do it over and over until only KNO3 is left. Can it be done?

You could use the mixture of KNO3 and NaNO3 with sugar to make smoke devices. That is about the extent of it's use though. It would be too hydroscopic for most other uses.

Potassium Chloride can be found in 55lb sacks used for water softening. Note that not all water softener salt is KCl, you will probably have to look for it. I believe in the US it comes in a green bag. Also it is available in acceptable purity as fertilizer, known as Muriate of Potash. Some Potashes are even KCl as I found out the hard way. Just because one source of KCl is expensive, don't assume they all are. You would be wasting money for a better KNO3 when you can use something a little more impure. The problem is that you CAN'T use what you have currently. It's less than a dollar a pound. If you want to use what you have, you are going to need to do this. It is the cheapest and easiest route.

And no you can't keep recrystalizing it and get only KNO3. You will always have a major NaNO3 impurity until you've crystalized a kilo into 5 grams.

hi dudes

I think it´s possible to get kno3 from a meat store, isn´t it??? :) :) :)

polumna

He could go the opposite route: Take advantage of the much (13g vs. 87g/100ml @ 0C) lower solubility of KNO3 in cold water, dissolving the sodium salt out. 3 steps in big buckets could give some pounds of say 98% purity.

Is that still too hygroscopic? I know it is not good for coloured comps, since the sodium yellow will overpower most other colours. But for BP, lift, candle comp etc it might be OK, especially for a beginner with a small budget.

Okey, I have a theory, but I dont know if it would work. I wanna take this potassium sulfate and buy some pure N and mix these two. Would it be potassium nitrate? Or could I use this for smoke bombs?

I think its a sickness to ask everything out before testing. :huh: :blink: :D

uhhhh....that wouldn't work. The air we breathe is ~75% Nitrogen so if there was any way that it would work, it would have already been reacted by now. I think you should just buy some potassium nitrate, it's one of the cheapest chems for pyro out there.

Also think, sulfir is more reactive than Nitrogen, aswell as that N is a gas, so N will not displace S. Not a very good Idea, if you want to make KNO3 from K2SO4 do the nitrate fertilizer set up. Also K2SO4 will not work in smoke b0mbz, it is a high temp oxidizer so it can be used in SOME fl*sh powder.

I seem to have learned a lot from this forum :D.