APC Forum

Potassium Perchloride/Aluminum Powder + Magnesium?

DoomsdayFAN

(America is NOT a democracy. It is a republic.) -Hum- was Rome also founded as a republic - oh well politics suck - lets shoot some fireworks

While flash powder is exciting, I have no aspirations in making or obtaining this stuff. I am extremely new to making pyro (yes I have down loaded the turbo pyro book and have read it at least 3 times), I have done as much research on making all kinds of stuff and flash powder scares the begeezus out of me especially after hearing the experts talk about how dangerous this stuff is just to handle, let alone manufacture. I don't think I would even be interested in flash until I have a very full grasp on making pyrotechnics and have obtained my BATFE license and state fire marshall's license. The only problem is that a lot of the aerial shells I want to make use flash powder.

• 1 month later...

Seymour is very correct. And his posts are very intelligent and informative. I do not want to step on his toes by saying this, but magnalium metal is an alloy of both aluminum and magnesium that has the stability of aluminum and the reactivity of magnesium. Making it slightly safer but still dangerous. I hope you understand I am not helping you with flash, but only informing you of a very common fuel. Having done so I may have put my post in a grey area, where I don't want to be.

And yes I have blown up a pumpkin to cheer everyone up after a funeral!

Please read up on the instability of magnesium and its relatives before mixing with an oxidizer. I have read magnesium has very limited use in pyrotechnics.

I've been involved in pyrotechnics for thirty + years.

I recall when I was just a sprout I spent some time experimenting with a balanced mix of Mg + S...this made quite a hot flash.

I suspect it would not be suitable for long-term storage unless the Mg was treated with dichromate.

I can find very little information about this mixture; does anyone know if it has any practical value?

I have tested it once or twice many years ago. If I remember correctly, it was hard to ignite, but once ignited it burned violently. It left pretty much residue for being a flash powder.

Just go with the standard 70:30 perchlorate flash and you will be fine, given the proper safety precaution (diapering, no ball milling, high humidity environment to reduce static). Mg sounds too much trouble for its worth, MgAl is almost as good and not so reactive.

• 9 years later...

Potassium perchlorate with magnesium are a sensitive combination. This combination is useful when the aluminum powder and the Mg both are homemade, but not recommended mixing KClO4 with Mg. Mg from boiler anode and Al from aluminum foil without ball mill. If the Al are 40 under micron and the Mg are under 40 micron too a 50:50 mixture will works fine. The combination are much more effective, brighter with the aluminum. With professional chemicals a 50:50 30 micron blue Al+3-7 micron dark Al are much more safer and have almost the same effect and the same power and sound. With magnalium (alloy 50:50) possible to get larger flash effects when mixed 40micron and a little rougher Mg/Al are used. The most stable and secure solution are pure aluminum. KClO4/Metal Powder/Sulfur 50/40/10 will works in this setups the best in all case. Metal powder: 3-7 micron dark Al, 3-7 micron dark Al+30 micron blue 50:50 mixed, 40 micron Mg (coated with linseed oil and dried)+30 micron blue 50:50 mixed, magnalium alloy 40 micron (coated with linseed oil and dried). 3-7 micron dark Al+30 micron blue 50:50 mixed gives similar effect, have the same power and sound, and much more safer. KClO4 with pure magnesium are have a poor flash effect and very sensitive for friction.

My detailed tests,and descriptions can find here

I use lot of KClO4 based flash powder. KClO4/Al/S 50/40/10 are much more safer than mixed Mg and Al, or MgAl alloy. And absolute not weaker. I wouldn't mix it KClO4 with Mg or Mg/Al for flash powder not safe enough.

Remember that magnalium is an alloy! It's made by mixing Mg and Al metals and melting them together. For two strong metals it's an amazingly weak and mechanically useless alloy.

Magnesium in any form is prone to corrode in air.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember that magnalium is an alloy! It's made by mixing Mg and Al metals and melting them together. For two strong metals it's an amazingly weak and mechanically useless alloy.

Magnesium in any form is prone to corrode in air.

It is my opinion that technically, magnalium is an intermetallic mix, and not a true alloy. This might be part of why it's so friable.

Chemical analysis plus use of a microscope can show the "separate though together" nature of "magnalium". A true alloy exhibits characteristics unique to itself, often different from its constituent components (brass as opposed to copper and zinc, for example).

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

It is an intermetallic, which largely gives rise to it's friability. It's kind of a subtle difference here though. I don't really have enough knowledge about the differences to be able to clearly explain it though.