APC Forum

Tips on Dealing With Wind

nater

Would anyone care to share their tips for dealing with the wind while mixing outdoors?

I bought one of these, the tent and the sides, so I can protect myself from the sun and wind;

tent

A tent is a good idea. A high fence or planting some thick foliage around your work area can help also. I've been dealing with wind ruining my plans as long as I can remember. It's a pain for both fireworks and video, the two things that I've always spent most of my free time on. Also frisbee based sports. I'm not keen on wind.

I have had to resort to using 2 gallon ziplocks when it gets windy. A good sized cardboard box around the scale (with a side cut away for access) allows you to measure out the chems and then putt them into the ziplock. The ziplock allows you to pour the comp into a bucket screen or just mix by hand by kneading the bag. I picked up this method when I started making whistle fuel.

-dag

Wind is what ultimately lead to a series of poor decisions on my part that lead to my accident. I cannot stress enough that working indoors is not an option.

At club events we have a large tent with flaps we can put down to block the wind. The tent seems to work well. I've worked under smaller pop-up tents but did not like it as much. The ideal situation seems to be a dedicated external manufacture building or shelter. I am aware that something like that isn't available to everyone though.

I have tried using bowls with high sides, but anything airfloat still tries to blow away. I'll try using some boxes and baggie mixing before buying an easy up. I can only build at events, so I need everything to be portable for now.

If you have the space, you can put up a small shed. I like to pry the doors open and any dust that get airborne finds its way right out the door. When the doors are just cracked and the light is right I watch the dust suck right out the doors on its own. I close myself in when I need privacy when the neighbors are home. You can get a cheap one delievered for $400 $500.windows shelves, double doors. They are real nice and pretty simple to put up. Very easy to scrub the floors, eccetera.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a 2nd hand wooden shed, i got it for free. Placed it in the back of my yard, about 150 feet away from my house. It only holds a working table, and some gardening tools on the wall, some clay pots and typical garden stuff. Ideal for mixing and storing mixed compositions in barrels, closed with a metal spring. Away from sensitive objects!