APC Forum

Russian Blue Fires

Mumbles

Hi all, here are some of compositions calculated and tested by me and other members of russian pyro site www.ruspyro.net. Central flame area is white, because of infrared ray emmision of heated gasses, аnd any digital camera is senitive to them causing central area overbright. All mixures tested by me are 10g mixture samples placed on paper. If you like those i can post compositions for other colours and my perchlorate colour system. Write your comments and have fun :)

Name of composition: Russian Blue #1

Composition Type: Colored fire

Creator: Engager

Color/Effect: Blue

The Composition: (by weight)

Pottasium Perchlorate - 53%

Guar Gum - 9%

Magnessium powdered - 6%

Copper (II) oxide - 14%

Hexachlorethane - 14%

Dextrine - 4%

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: Don't combine with Chlorates

Precedure/Preparation: Bind with water

Name of composition: Russian Blue #2

Ammonium Perchlorate - 79.5%

Hexamethylenetetramine - 15.8%

Copper (I) chloride - 5.7%

Precedure/Preparation: Bind with shellac in alcohol.

Name of composition: Russian Blue #3

Ammonium Perchlorate - 72.27%

Hexamethylenetetramine - 14.36%

Copper (I) chloride - 5.18%

Hexachlorethane - 9%

Name of composition: Russian Blue #4

Creator: Rip

Color/Effect: Blue with charcoal tail

Ammonium Perchlorate - 70%

Copper hydroxycarbonate Cu(OH)2*CuCO3 - 10%

Guar gum - 10%

Charcoal(Lampback) - 10%

Dextrine - (+5%)

Precedure/Preparation: Bind with water.

Name of composition: Russian Blue #5

Creator: Rip

Pottassium perchlorate - 60%

Cooper oxychliride Cu(OH)Cl - 20%

Sulfur - 20%

Name of composition: Russian Blue #6

Potassium perchlorate - 63%

Copper (II) oxide - 13%

Guar gum - 13%

PVC - 14%

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: None

Name of composition: Russian Blue #7

Barium Nitrate (it's not a joke!) - 50%

Hexachlorethane - 18%

Copper (II) oxide - 10%

Alluminium paint - 10%

Hexamethylenetetramine - 5%

Sulfur - 4%

Guar gum - 2%

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: Don't combine with Chlorates, use 1% H3BO3 since mixture contains nitrate + alluminium

--------------------------

Posted by: rooster Posted on: January 9th, 2006, 5:49pm

Wow, many pics, Please choose one pic for each star formula. I am also moving this thread to the compositions section, since these are compositions. Thank you for the new ones, they look nice.

Posted by: Crazy_Swede Posted on: January 11th, 2006, 2:11am

The Russian Blue #7 looks pale and kind of cold blue in the pictures. Is it like that in reality?

Posted by: RIP Posted on: January 11th, 2006, 12:26pm

Engager did not write about the fact that there is small video of testing Russian Blue #4.

These stars possess the property of chaotic motion. You will look video, unfortunately BP it was little, and the height of the lift of stars small.

http://ruspyro.net/blue/video/comp4mine.rar

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For any of the comps with perchlorates and magnessium should dichromate be added for shelf life or is it even needed.

Just adding dichromate is not adequate. It will not protect much corrosion. You need to coat it with potassium dichromate. I included some info below. The standard method used is in Shimizu's Fireworks: The Art, Science, and Technique. It can be found with a search on the internet if you are too cheap to buy the book, although it is worth it.

http://www.xsorbit2.com/users/apcforum/ind...&num=1128446561

Mumbles, in this old topic you wrote your will write an article on leensid oil coating too. Is there any way you can will write this too? even a summary of your coating process will help me.

Maybe open a new thread for Mg coating too...

Yeah, I will get on that soon. I was going to wait until summer so I could provide pictures and such. I guess I no longer have an excuse.

It was a long time since I posted here but I check the posts now and then just to see if there is something I can contribute with.

Regarding corrosion protection of magnesium, the easiest and most efficient method is to use dichromates. Ammonium dichromate has a higher solubility and is also preferred because of a theoretical problem with potassium dichromate in some green compositions.

To simply add the fine powdered dichromate to the composition before processing is usually enough since water never should be used as a solvent anyway in magnesium compositions.

Everyone should be aware of that the pre-treatment of the magnesium powder will lower the reactivity of the metal fuel. Some magnesium is also lost in the process (I really feel that I have written this before here!).

When it comes to linseed oil the protection is quite good but the amount must be as small as possible since the product is a strong phlegmatizer!

In compositions containing ammonium perchlorate there is no alternative, dichromates are the only effective choice.

Ammonium dichromate has a higher solubility and is also preferred because of a theoretical problem with potassium dichromate in some green compositions.

I'm intrigued about your reference to potential problems with some green compositions - would you be able to elaborate?

Glad to see you're still lurking around here : )

Optimus,

I can't find the reference at the moment. I think it was an article written by Shimizu that was published some years ago in the proceedings of the International Pyrotechnics Symposium.

I might be wrong but as I remember there was a fear that if soluble barium compounds, like barium nitrate, is present together with potassium dichromate in a composition, there is a theoretical risk that the barium could form insoluble barium chromate and would thus decrease the corrosion inhibitory effect of the dichromate.

When I think about it, it might be so that the idea was that in those compositions it was much better to treat the Mg powder before mixing instead of just adding a dichromate loose in the composition. Maybe it had nothing to do with the cat ion? (I mean ammonium vs potassium)

Hmmm... I have to find that article to sort this out!