APC Forum

1lb whistle with 4" sun and planets header

WonderBoy

I've got another one for you guys. A 1lb whistle with 4" sun and planets header.

The shell needs some work, the "sun" break especially. A stronger break and those comets burned way too long, lesson learned. But overall it worked alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN57UVimbgo

WB

I think the biggest mistake was putting such a nice shell on the rocket. :)

I love shells, every rocket should have one! ;)

-dag

Edited by dagabu

I think the biggest mistake was putting such a nice shell on the rocket. :)

LOL Indeed! :)

It was a pretty shell.

I would have been pleased enough with it for a first attempt (one I haven't attempted yet so I am sure to out bad the bad parts of this one in my try blush.gif)

Edited by warthog

Thanks guys. I need to work on the timing on my rockets a bit, I seem to always be putting in just a bit too much delay. For an insert shell like this I would like to see the shell bursting while the rocket is still traveling upwards.

I think the timing of the shell was okay. I wanted the "Sun" to burst slightly before the "planets" so that the Sun would be able to develop a little bit before the inserts opened. I think that if my break was stronger then the timing I used would be good, but as it was the Sun didn't develop as much as I would have liked before the inserts opened.

WB

Thanks guys. I need to work on the timing on my rockets a bit, I seem to always be putting in just a bit too much delay. For an insert shell like this I would like to see the shell bursting while the rocket is still traveling upwards.

I think the timing of the shell was okay. I wanted the "Sun" to burst slightly before the "planets" so that the Sun would be able to develop a little bit before the inserts opened. I think that if my break was stronger then the timing I used would be good, but as it was the Sun didn't develop as much as I would have liked before the inserts opened.

WB

WB, have you considered DWC's idea of using fast fuse on the outside of the rocket and shell to light a spollette? He nailed the timing on his three break using a completely novel idea.

-dag

Thanks for the idea. I have done that once before, but wasn't a fan of the motor continuing on a bit after the heading functioned, which could easily be tweaked. But since I like to use slow burning delay mixes I may have to give that another shot, as a compromise between having a nice looking delay and getting the shell to burst right when I want it to. Especially on these rockets with more complicated and heavier shells, a very small amount of slow burning delay comp can be the difference between breaking when I want, and arching over towards the ground.

WB

Edited by WonderBoy

I have not tried it yet but I love the idea. Could post some pictures of your setup if you try this?

-dag