APC Forum

Smokes on Airplanes!

californiapyro

This is a neat thing I did last week, it's shimizu white smoke on a remote control airplane. You can really see the wingtip vortices in the smoke. also for the issue of legality, our cub was properly permitted to do this on that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA-Mt9TLxuw

Nice flying. That was a good long burning smoke choice too. I've seen a few guys really deck out some big rc choppers with roman candles and such at past shoots as well. What was it you needed to do to get a permit for pyro on an rc plane?

thanks :) the formula took a while to perfect. The club asked the local fire department, and they said as long as there was no flame and the pyrotechnics didn't leave the airplane, they would permit us to do so for the day. If we want to do this again, a new permit has to be acquired.

I don't think the fire department really had the authority to permit you for that, as it is federally illegal so far as I'm aware, but I suppose it gives you a pretty defensible position against anyone that might object.

yeah, that was the thinking behind it. it probably won't be a regular activity in the club for that reason

Plane looks cool with the smoke coming off it. One question. How do rc planes get the smoke trail without smoke bombs? Some kind of smoke liquid or something dumped in the exhaust?

I Think You Are Thinking Of Gas Powered RC Planes, They Run Off Of Nitro =]

Its A Mixture Of Methanol, Oil and Nitro Methane, The Oil Giving You That Nice Smoke Trail.