APC Forum

HDPE and other mortars

ivars21

Hi,

I am really into pyro so I want to make one step forward and start making some kind of show for my family. In my country in local stores we can get polyethylene tubes (PE). I know its not the same as HDPE, but mybe they just write PE instead of HDPE, so that people could understand (translation etc) Can you tell me how can I know if it is a HDPE tube or PE?

So far I have bought 4" fiberglass mortar which is great but too expensive to buy for example 10 of them.

Thank you.

I think that if it says PE, it is LDPE, not HDPE.

However, it isn't impossible to use LDPE for mortars. It's just not as strong and will break easier, if you have a shell going off in the mortar (flowerpot).

In the UK pipe is specified by the outside diameter, PE pipe is thicker walled than HDPE pipe, SO be careful as the bore size may not be correct for fireworks.

Paper tubes can be good for mortars, and they can be easier to find. There are some 3" bore tubes in the UK that are cores from huge rolls of industrial clingfilm. They have walls about 3/4" (19mm) thick and need a good plug.

Cheap thin tubes are NO good.

What are the tubes they sell used for? I've heard of some people in Europe getting orange or yellow gas pipes, which turned out to be medium density polyethylene (MDPE). They said these worked fine for mortars. I suspect like HDPE that they still have limitation if you're intending to fire heavy shells though.

• 3 weeks later...
In our country the fiberglass mortar tube is cheaper then HDPE mortars. I donot know why it is expersive then HDPE!

First post - so a general Hi to all included!

Is there an easy way to straighten curved lengths of HDPE?

I just picked some up last week on the side of the road, enough for one mortar - or an extra two if I can get it straight.

Yep, real easy. Strap it to a couple of star pickets and leave it in the sun for a day or two. Either that or pour some boiling water on it, just anything to get a bit of heat through the tube.

Oh, great. I have some 2". One of them is bent. I mostly shoot 5" and 6", but 2" are good for test shells.