APC Forum

Online Stores

BillyBobBodean

Maybe it's just me that has bad luck with online sales, but I find it very frustrating to put in an order to an online store, and then not hear back from the company on how my order status is. In the last few weeks I have ordered from three different companies who I have seen recommended, suggested, or posted on this site, and once the order is put in I get no follow up. I ordered from a popular site and expected a shipment to arrive in about 10 days and not until I contacted them did I find out that what I purchased was back ordered, couldn't they have the courtesy to email me that when I put in the order? Another individual has not responded to emails inquiring when my order is to be shipped, and the third seems to be in limbo as to look at thier website the order says completed but it's been two weeks since they said that and no product. Sorry for the rant, but I grew up in a family owned retail business and customer service was the utmost importance to our livelyhood. C'mon, if you can't provide the service, get out of the business.

could you tell us which sites you have had trouble with? It would help to know that much.

Maybe what you are ordering as well so we can see what the problem is and give some help?

Personally, I have noi trouble getting what I order from any of the more reputable, highly recommended places.

Edited by warthog

I'm new here, and I need some exposure for new threads, so I want to jump in on this :)

Usually, when I purchase things I go in the order of Ebay>Amazon>Highly reputable sellers>local

They each have their flaws, but I have never had any real problems with either three. If I receive something wrong, I've even had sellers send an additional item at no cost.

If you let others know which site you used, it might help out more.

I placed an order with mortartubes.net over 6 months ago and never received anything, just ignores all my emails. Tried recovering the money through PayPal, but they're useless. I've ordered with success from overseas plenty of times, but I'm never buying anything from the US again.

Paypal was useless? I guess they don't work as hard for non-US folks and you will never catch me defending Paypal anyway. Some how they are able to maintain a virtual monopoly on the exchange of money over the net. The part I don't like is they tell you want you can and cannot buy and it has nothing to do with legal, even if you look at them as in California. It is their political views that govern what yo may buy or not and I really can't see that at all.

I have never done business with the company you state Phury but I agree it sucks if they do this only to their non-US customers because they know they can get away with it, if that is indeed what happened and it seems like it was from what you are saying. I find that gives me as a US citizen a black eye so I will apologize for their actions though I cannot do much about fixing it.

could you tell us which sites you have had trouble with? It would help to know that much.

Maybe what you are ordering as well so we can see what the problem is and give some help?

Personally, I have noi trouble getting what I order from any of the more reputable, highly recommended places.

Since you asked, the first example I gave is Skylighter. I ordered the Pumped Star kit. When I ordered there was no mention of "out of stock". Now looking at their site it looks like most everything is out of stock. I understand that it happens, but when they advertise the shit out of their site on Facebook, not to mention the constant annoying pop-ups on their website to sign up for their terrific product, you'd think they would be prepared to fullfill orders. Another order to a different company was for some willow charcoal ordered 2 weeks and he hasn't answered my emails. Just aggravating is all.

If it's custom charcoal, you may be in for a long wait. I got them to answer e-mails on occasion, but the run of the mill wait time is weeks to months. I suggest checking out the supplier review section. Skylighter is usually pretty good, but I've had similar problems where they did not inform me of back orders, and a few other problems that resulted from that.

Custom charcoal sends out the orders, they just aren't the best at communication nor promptness in fulfillment. I've never not gotten my charcoal but I have grown weary of waiting for it to arrive and I have also given up thinking he cares about my complaints about his service. I usually avoid him but still go there from time to time when his specials are worth it and I am not screwed for need of BP to make.

Skylighter though is usually pretty good but does run out now and then when their sales are too good for most to pass on. It happens but I haven't had trouble getting money back if that is what I decided to do instead of waiting.

Since you asked, the first example I gave is Skylighter. I ordered the Pumped Star kit. When I ordered there was no mention of "out of stock". Now looking at their site it looks like most everything is out of stock. I understand that it happens, but when they advertise the shit out of their site on Facebook, not to mention the constant annoying pop-ups on their website to sign up for their terrific product, you'd think they would be prepared to fullfill orders. Another order to a different company was for some willow charcoal ordered 2 weeks and he hasn't answered my emails. Just aggravating is all.

Their phone number is listed on their website and they have always answered when I've called. This is a good vendor for beginners and they offer instructions, etc with their kits and projects, they also provide some good safety info. When you really get into the hobby you may find it's better to shop around and buy in more bulk. Join passfire.com if you haven't already.