APC Forum

KNO3 vs KNO3 with anticaking

ivars21

Hi, my KNO3 is getting to the end (about 100g left). I had bought 2kg KNO3 with anti-caking agent 6 moths ago. I was wondering is there any big difference in their quality if I want to use them for stars (like TT, C6 etc.) and black powder? I have read that it is difficult to coat bp to rice hulls if it contains anti-caking agent. So I need your professional advice - to buy kno3 without anti-caking or I can use this.

Thank you.

I don't think you need anticaking. I never had anticaking in my KNO3. B) Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I have already bought it, so I need to find any use for it. Any idea?

Hi,

personally I love anticake.

I don't know how great the sacrifice in speed and binding capabilities really is.

But whenever you sieve a composition together, without the use of a ballmill, anticake is unbeatable. I just ground about 3Kg in my kitchen blender. This stuff is now really "airfloat" - free flowing, very easy to mix with anything. And it will STAY airfloat. I've got a batch I ground last spring and is still free from lumps.

If you want to make high quality BP, the pure stuff may be better. But if you want to make for example coreburner rocket fuel, KNO3 based stars or slowflash to break shells, working with anticake rules.

Just my 2 cents.