APC Forum

Display Fireworks Prizes

AdmiralDonSnider

I´ve recently made my shooters licence and this seminar somewhat moved my outlook on pyro towards the display fireworker´s. During the seminar that took place in the vicinity of a factory, which we visited, us was also given a prizelist for display items. The steep prizes suprised me. I had expected that once you own the licence, you can buy display items for quite cheap. In contrast, things like simple 3" canister shells cost about 20 Euros, with complex 8" shell of shell canisters (which they import themselves) approaching the 200 Euro per shot. No wonder that even small fireworks can cost thousands.

I´d be interested in display fireworks prizes in other parts of the world. Are there general "rules" on how much the 4" sphere we assemble at home would cost when bought commercially for a display? I know this is a dumb question and a matter of qty., quality and alike. But some insight in commercial prizemaking would be nice. Do you have prizelists to share? What do complex and exotic/HQ items such as handmade jap petal shells cost when bought by display qualified pyros?

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

The prices are ridiculous. You should get a manufacturing license as well and keep on making your own shells.

Prices around here vary from vendor to vendor, typically you get a price break by the case too. Looking at a publicly available pricelist, a single Lidu 3" shell ranges from $3-4. You can expect the price to double with each step up in size. With larger shells, the price range is large due to the effects. For example a fancy 10" shell might cost somewhere between $80-$200 depending on the effects.

Note: these prices may not be what a display company who purchases 50k worth of product pays, and they might not be the prices a display operator might charge a client for the product. I have no affiliation with the company who's website lists these prices as well. I've never shot a show for them or bought product from them.

With smaller shells, display product is generally cheaper than consumer product. Licensed people can buy a 3" shell for less than $5, but a retailer might charge $20 for a preloaded single shot 2 1/4" shell that is available for consumers.

Edited by nater

My "B" price list for Glorious 3" Kanto Cylinder Shells is $8.90 US or 6.78 Euro. 10" balls shells range from $80.00 each to $120.00 for Vulcan, I do not have a 8" canister shell of shells, they are all ball shells here.

-dag

The prices are ridiculous. You should get a manufacturing license as well and keep on making your own shells.

There is a problem with this supposition, if he is wanting to do this for public display the insurance costs are tremendous, at least here in the USA, if you are making the fireworks yourself verses buying those which have already known properties. There winds up being no savings in costs due to the added insurance costs. It is still done by some people but in order to avoid having to pay through the nose for the insurance, the bulk of the show is shot using commercially available products with only a few, "highlight" type shells shot during the show.

A manufacturer's license isn't a carte blanche to do as you please unless you are only shooting shows for yourself and a very limited group of friends & family. When you take the shows "public" all of those safety issues not only have to be dealt with as you would normally, but insurance must be taken out in case of a mishap. Public shows have a lot more scrutiny under the law here than a "friendly" shoot would done on your property with your buddies.

I hope this doesn't derail the thread now...

It is strictly forbidden to shoot non-certified shells where I live. Even if I made the best 8" Warimono on the planet, I´m not allowed to use it in a regular show. Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

Stupid bureaucracy in a nutshell. A homemade shell is much safer than a commercial one. <_<

I would never say a homemade shell is safer than a commercial one. All in all, the failure rate of commercial shells is pretty low. Well within quality control standards of any industry at least. Homemade shells, of a proven design, built by an experienced buildernare no different. But many of us stay in the "experimental" stage and would never have the reliability of something in mass production.

Warthog, aside from insurance costs, when using homemade product in a commerical show, you are also subject to DOT regulations for transport and proper EX numbers on each item. Obtaining the EX numbers alone would be cost preventative for any hobby builder.

Besides, I don't know about everyone else here, but you don't save money building over buying. Time, tools, materials, all add up way higher than just buying what you want.