APC Forum

Air / Hydraulic Jack

nater

I stopped by Harbor Freight today and it just so happened they had Air / Hydraulic jacks on sale so I bought a 12 ton one. I'm not very familiar with air tools other than wanting them to "just work" when I use them. Can they be tapped for a gauge the same way as a regular bottle jack? I also found that my small compressor is a bit weak to power this jack. For those use these to build at events, do you prefer to use them manually or haul a compressor with you?

You are going to need two air-line filters, to remove the moisture, the compressor draws from the air. One air-line filter should be on the compressor outlet.. The second should be at least 15 feet down the air-line. The air-line filters are available at Harbor Freight. They usually come with bushings, for either 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch air-lines. Most people in shops use iron pipe airlines on the wall or ceilings, because the iron pipe improves the condensation of the water vapor, for the filters.

You will eventually want a in line air regulator, before the jack, so you do not want to have to go to the compressor regulator, to adjust the pressure.

If you do a lot of rockets, comets or bp pucks your pneumatic jack will become very convenient, especially with a foot petal control. Remember to drain the air-line filters, when needed.

I do not manufacture at events, because of all the other conflicting entertainment, like seminars, shooting and sales. I have seen few compressors due to the limited space, power outlets, and inconvenience of cords and hoses. I have seen a lot of modified arbor presses.

Phneumatic jacks use a small amount of air, as in cubic feet per minute, (CMF). Some require more air pressure, in pounds per square inch.:rolleyes:

Thanks. I'll pick up some filters next time I am at a hardware store. The main purpose of this press is portability, but I did go with the air/hydraulic jack for repetitive pressing at home or events where I have an outlet at my workstation.

Tapping an air-hydraulic jack is just as easy as the regular ones; just be careful not to loose the balls (there are 2 of them - manual and air pump).