APC Forum

Mushroom Shells

NightHawkInLight

I saw this movie a month ago and tried to make this effect:

(its the first shell in the movie)

there is no double petal there. you can see the bowtie stars are as far from the centre as the color stars. my only mistake was not using more stars for the bowtie. and maybe I should have use brighter streamer stars and not C6.

I'm will try to remake it and will post my result here.

A few people have mad shells similar to that, maybe they'll chime in. I think Seymour and Psyco_1322 have done them, but called them jellyfish or squid or something. I agree, probably not too difficult. Be sure to post some videos if you give them a shot.

I think those are cool looking. I think I saw a tutorial somewhere on how to make a "Jellyfish" shell once.

Would be a cool one to try someday.

What would be the smallest size shell you all would consider to be able to pull one of these off?

I think that pyro guide has a tut on making a jelly fish shell

well ive seen vh718 pull of 2" pattern (bowtie) shells... so, maybe 3 inch is a good starting point?

Givat, your Mushroom/Jellyfish was very good even with the somewhat dim stem/tentacles, as were all of your shells. It's orientation in the sky was quite good, was this by chance, or design?

I have made three of these shells, two in four inch, and one six inch. I'm sure three inch will be good, and smaller is possible, just so long as you can get a round flower, it will work! As NHL and Mumbles noted, it's quite easy to achieve.

It is also attractive because you have a pole of symmetry, so that with aerodynamic stabilization (like a rope), and a slightly reduced time fuse delay, so it bursts with enough speed for the stablisation to work, you can make sure it bursts at the right angle for the audience.

Pyroguide has the start of a tutorial for my 6". I got the pictures up, but It needs a lot more text, not to mention sorting out the readability. One day I should finish it.

6" at 1.20

4" at 2.04 and 2.08 (though the second is not recognizable at that orientation to the camera)

Edited by Seymour

thanks seymour, the orientation was by chance, its was my first pattern shells.

I saw both of the this movies before, vary nice pattern