APC Forum

Legal transportation question

cogbarry

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what those of you ATF license/permit holders have had to deal with in terms of state regulations pertaining to the transportation of hobbiest (1.3) fireworks. I'm guessing that some of you transport your fireworks to events such as the PGI convention and travel through your own state and others.

Edited by cogbarry

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what those of you ATF license/permit holders have had to deal with in terms of state regulations pertaining to the transportation of hobbiest (1.3) fireworks. I'm guessing that some of you transport your fireworks to events such as the PGI convention and travel through your own state and others.

The only information I know regarding this is that ALOT of federal regulations do not apply to non-commercial persons (such as DOT regulations IIRC).

I believe there is still a process though.

The only information I know regarding this is that ALOT of federal regulations do not apply to non-commercial persons (such as DOT regulations IIRC).

I believe there is still a process though.

Thanks,

Yes, I think it's pretty well known that the US DOT does not regulate the transportation of fireworks that are not in commerce. The PGI has done some research here and I believe they have payed for legal help with this in order to support it's hobbiest members wishing to transport to PGI events. I'm actually trying to get some answers on state laws.

Thanks,

Yes, I think it's pretty well known that the US DOT does not regulate the transportation of fireworks that are not in commerce. The PGI has done some research here and I believe they have payed for legal help with this in order to support it's hobbiest members wishing to transport to PGI events. I'm actually trying to get some answers on state laws.

Ah, I see, theres the catch eh. State laws aren't fun :(

Ah, I see, theres the catch eh. State laws aren't fun :(

LOL

I'm trying to get down to the nitty gritty of what is it I need to do to ensure I don't go to jail if I am stopped by a state trooper either in my state or others. My state requires placards and such on the vehicle. I have read a lot on the federal issues but it seems to me, this is the easy part. Prison sucks whether you break a state or federal law. I'm hoping some others will chime in on this with their knowledge and experiences. From what I've been told by my state fire marshals office, we can not assume an ATF licence allows us to travel across the country with explosives in our trunks,back of pickups,etc without complying with other regulations.