APC Forum

Problems with Passfire site

MikeB

Last night while on Passfire my screen started displaying a bunch of code or gibberish to me. Since then when I try and logon I get a message from DotNetNuke that the site is unavailable. Is this happening to any of you who may be members?

This is what I got

Server Error in '/dotnetnuke' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

This site is currently Unavailable

Please check back later

Mike, I got the same thing while I was trying to make a post last night. Some error message toook over my browser and wouldn't go away. I figured I broke the site somehow while making a thread.

Mike, I got the same thing while I was trying to make a post last night. Some error message toook over my browser and wouldn't go away. I figured I broke the site somehow while making a thread.

That is what I thought. You broke it ;)

looks like it back up now, kyle blames a server update with the host. Guess I am off the hook.

I do too, he seems to have a hangup with PHP, assuming anything coded in that language is free junk. I understand someone being more familiar with one language over another, but there has to be a good reason the vast majority of the internet uses *nix servers and PHP instead of microsoft's products.

The vast majority of the internet users use Microsoft products Nate.

The infrastructure providers are the ones using the *nix systems. Them and those of us who don't want to have all of our computer's resources eaten up by the combination of the bloated OS & all of the counter measure you all must use to use the internet "safely". Then there is the merciless way that Mr. Gates mines his users own systems for all the information he can sell legally without letting them choose not to participate.

I digress... :)

Right, that is what I said, *nix servers. Kyle has mentioned before he dosen't care for anything open source and beleives commercial products are always superior. I do not know much about desktop application development, but he couldn't be more wrong when it comes to developing internet applications. Of course you have products like ipboard and vbulletin which are commercial pieces of software that use open source technology. Although I have also said before that the dot nuke cms suites are too bloated, but it isn't my site and I have no desire to code a competeting site.

I've been having trouble for a while. Last night it would not let me on. Today it will let me on, but there are only a few links. None of them are to the forum. Hopefully things will work themselves out soon.

Right, that is what I said, *nix servers. Kyle has mentioned before he dosen't care for anything open source and beleives commercial products are always superior. I do not know much about desktop application development, but he couldn't be more wrong when it comes to developing internet applications. Of course you have products like ipboard and vbulletin which are commercial pieces of software that use open source technology. Although I have also said before that the dot nuke cms suites are too bloated, but it isn't my site and I have no desire to code a competeting site.

yeah, I see that now. blush.gif

I said something to Kyle once about open source and his response made me feel the same way.

To each their own. :)

I am unable to use the search function anymore of Passfire. Is anybody else expierencing this problem? He has it all screwed up with the "update" which I call a downgrade. I will most likely not be renewing my subscriptions, I am sure going to miss the formula database though.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm able to use it, for what it's worth, but I do get random error messages. The new site is a mess, you might want to make sure you've cleared your cache, and do a hard-refresh of the site, also try in a different browser.

Since the servers went down, my searching has been slightly more productive as of late. I can still only get 1 page of results, but I can search through the entire forum at once which is very helpful and generally just requires me to be more specific in my search query.

Whenever I search something, it is blank no matter what I search. It really pisses me off because I can't find what I am looking for and I often forget whatever the project was since it could take me a year to search through everything.