APC Forum

What ratio H3:rice hulls/cotton seeds do you use?

Potassiumchlorate

I use 52:48 by weight for 5" and 6" shells, which is what Shimizu recommends, but I see that many people use much more, at least for KP burst, which isn't that much different in performance, although a bit less powerful.

Suggestions? I also apologize if I had posted this question before. Can't find it, anyway.

H3 to hulls 4:1 has given me a good break balance (softness to shape size) for my taste. This is for 4"and 5" ball shells pasted with 12 ; 18 turns of 40lbs kraft IIRC.

Pyro has many style variations. This is why you have to experiment and find your own taste.

Edited by 50AE

I like my breaks as hard as they can get without crushing the stars or blowing them blind. ;)

H3 is perfect for me, because:

1. It's as powerful as it can get without adding flash.

2. Shells with H3 need less pasting for a powerful burst.

3.It's simple; only potassium chlorate, charcoal and a binder.

4. It's cheap. Potassium chlorate is much cheaper for me than potassium perchlorate.

5. It's compatible with my stars, since I mostly use chlorate stars or stars compatible with chlorates.

You do use bare chlorate stars? I don't recommend it, because some don't ignite so easily. Meal prime works best IMHO

You do use bare chlorate stars? I don't recommend it, because some don't ignite so easily. Meal prime works best IMHO

Oh, no, I use Pinball Prime, though I mean that I usually don't use stars with ammonium perchlorate or sulfur in them.