APC Forum

Your best stars with kno3 or KP

ChloRure

Hi,

I passed a lot of time searching for stars formula to try out but I am taking a chance by asking which one you guy prefer.

I need formulat without Ammonium perchlorate or Potassium Chlorate because it's almost impossible to get those here without getting me busted. (I am in canada)

So, this let me with Kno3 and Potassium perchlorate.

I tried Concling Blue (Good but little whiteish)

Yankees Purple (ok)

Veline Red (not very red)

Veline Orange (Looked nice)

Emerald Green (ok)

Electric Magenta (Looked nice)

I would like to have other formulas that you know to be cool looking or to have your impressions.

Try some of the parlon rubber stars that Ned has published. I have made both the red and green and they were both really nice. Can you get strontium or barium nitrate? What about barium carbonate?

Check out the article Ned wrote about these stars. The screen slicing is also a pretty neat way of making stars if you don't have a roller or a star plate.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/colored-screen-sliced-rubber-stars.asp

One of the best stars to do with KNO3 are charcoal streamers :)

They could be also tricky to master.

Yes!!! a fellow Canadian

could you tell me where you get you chems

right now all I can find is some fuse, charcoal (which I don't buy any way I make it) sulphur, and salt peter

Thanks

ps I'm in Alberta

Have you been trying these star formula up in the air or up close? You'll never get an idea of what they really perform like if they're not flying through the air. Also, you are binding these formulas, right? I see people discount formulas all the time because they are testing them as powders up close.

I've been taken by Buell Red lately. I've never tried it, but I've been told substituting barium carbonate for strontium carbonate makes a decent green as well. I like Yankie's purple. I also tend to like Pyro Science Blue. Blues and purples are very subjective however toward personal taste.

With nitrate based stars, the "best" are going to be glitters or brocades in my opinion. I like a lot of different effects based on potassium nitrate, but a well done glitter is by far the most impressive to me. On the other side of the coin, a shitty glitter is an eye sore.

Do you have copper oxychloride? I recently tested this composition, Hardt Blue #6:

Potassium perchlorate 62

Copper oxychloride 12

Sulfur 18

Dechlorane 4 (parlon will do as a substitute)

Dextrin 4

My best star isn't mine, it is Lloyd Sponenburgh's. The best KNO3 Star I make of all is Buttered Popcorn Glitter IMO.

Meal Powder------------------------------------------------80

Antimony Trisulfide Dark Pyro-------------------------9

Spherical Atomized Al, -325 mesh, 32 micron---8

Sodium Bicarbonate---------------------------------------5

Dextrin----------------------------------------------------------6

Total = 109

I usually pump this but it can be rolled or cut as well. It is easily the best glitter of all IMO and I have tried a lot of glitters so far.

My next use of this will be to make matrix comets with dragon eggs and get a little crackle action with my glitter.... cool2.gif

best perchlorate? that would be hard to nail down since there would be one for each color plus one or two for various effects. Really the same holds true with the KNO3 but I do find the glitters to be the ones I like best.

Edited by warthog

Try some of the parlon rubber stars that Ned has published. I have made both the red and green and they were both really nice. Can you get strontium or barium nitrate? What about barium carbonate?

Check out the article Ned wrote about these stars. The screen slicing is also a pretty neat way of making stars if you don't have a roller or a star plate.

http://www.skylighte...ubber-stars.asp

Thanks for the link, I will definitely try thoses :)

Yes!!! a fellow Canadian

could you tell me where you get you chems

right now all I can find is some fuse, charcoal (which I don't buy any way I make it) sulphur, and salt peter

Thanks

ps I'm in Alberta

I can tell you where I can get some of thems like strontium, barium, black oxide... but I Prefer to keep stuff like Potassium Perchlorate a "secret" since it takes me at least 3 months to find someone willing to sell it to me. And if too much people start to know... then he will get busted. Sorry :/

Have you been trying these star formula up in the air or up close? You'll never get an idea of what they really perform like if they're not flying through the air. Also, you are binding these formulas, right? I see people discount formulas all the time because they are testing them as powders up close.

I've been taken by Buell Red lately. I've never tried it, but I've been told substituting barium carbonate for strontium carbonate makes a decent green as well. I like Yankie's purple. I also tend to like Pyro Science Blue. Blues and purples are very subjective however toward personal taste.

With nitrate based stars, the "best" are going to be glitters or brocades in my opinion. I like a lot of different effects based on potassium nitrate, but a well done glitter is by far the most impressive to me. On the other side of the coin, a shitty glitter is an eye sore.

I always start to test with a star on the ground, around 10 feets away. They I do a 1.75inchs shell and launch it. Maybe it is because I actualy make them a little small... between 1/4 and 3/8 and I cut them for now... waiting on a star pump.

Oh and is there a good article talking about binders/fuel etc... cause sometimes I may read "the parlon is used for fuel or binding agent here..." I know that fuel mean to help produce more "combustion" but why something it change ?

Edited by ChloRure

that would be great if you could tell me where you get strontium nitrate and barium and the black oxide

I can under stand why you don't wont to say were you get thins like potasium perchlorate

thanks so much

bob

Oh and is there a good article talking about binders/fuel etc... cause sometimes I may read "the parlon is used for fuel or binding agent here..." I know that fuel mean to help produce more "combustion" but why something it change ?

Not a change, really. The parlon performs two or three functions at once. One, it's a fuel, something to burn and make a flame that can be colored. Two, it's a chlorine donor, it releases chlorine or hydrogen chloride when it burns, which is necessary to create the colors. The third thing, if you wet your star mixture with acetone instead of water, the parlon dissolves and becomes a sticky binder.

that would be great if you could tell me where you get strontium nitrate and barium and the black oxide

I can under stand why you don't wont to say were you get thins like potasium perchlorate

thanks so much

bob

PM Sent

• 11 months later...
i agree with flamtbkr...if you can get the chems for rubber stars their great..but like mumbles said.. you have a great source for some of the prettiest stars with just regular black powder ingredients..especially if you have just about any kind of access to metal powders

All the stars I make are cut and the best chemicals I use for colour is Copper oxide and Strontium nitrate and Antimony Trisulphide . I used Barium nitrate the other day for a star for my Italian pal. My all time favourite is TT which have an incredible hang time. All thanks to Ned Gorski for the cut rubber star article. It was the first time I used parlon. If anybody has a tried method for a crackling star that does not do the flaming shit on head routine would be helpful.

props to ned for sure.. wanting to try d-1 or tt to green myself..am saving up for some bis-trioxide have everything else i need for the eggs ..stuffs expensive though..i dont use the carbonates either. may be more functional for color compatibility. but i like the brightness of the other colorants